9

Author's point of view

No one was one hundred percent prepared for Campbell's victory

No one was one hundred percent prepared for Campbell's victory. Xavi Simons kept a little away, afraid of the rudeness of the brown-eyed woman and Kate, not even hiding how uncomfortable she was with that presence.

In a corner, Sophia was talking to Mavie about random topics and on the old couch in the garage, Alejandro was teaching Lauren how to kill some zombies. It was clear that Mavie admired the affection he had for his younger sister but he was still a man and consequently, an asshole.

-He's cute, don't you think? - Sophia lowered her voice so that only Mavie could hear her.

-I do not think so. — She shrugged, trying not to sound rude.

-Don't you think it's really cute the way he treats your sister?

-Can we talk about another subject other than the cute clueless one? -Mavie involuntarily raised her voice, then Alejandro's laughter spread throughout the room.

-I heard this.

-You know I'm not wrong. -She shrugged, everyone was already expecting some kind of argument but Alejandro was taking it all as a joke.

In fact, everyone was there, or almost everyone, as Kate seemed even more irritated than last time.

-As if coming here wasn't enough, you still offend our friends. -She crossed her arms, Mavie looked at her curiously.

Since arriving there, she had already noticed that Kate was very quiet, but only then did she realize that the girl didn't like her very much. Mavie hated female rivalry, for her all women should unite.

-She didn't offend me, Kate.

- I don't need you to defend me. — Jenner countered, as she watched Alejandro adjust Lauren's little fingers on the controller.

-I think everyone has already realized that this is your little game, it was very clear that you don't hate men, otherwise you wouldn't be playing for Alejandro. — Kate's comment left everyone shocked, except Mavie who seemed full.

-You definitely don't know me! And if you think I'm "throwing myself" for someone, you should start observing things better.

-It's still a dick face! Very typical of a shot.

Everyone waited for another answer but all Mavie did was freeze. Some memories came to her mind in a confusing way, the images were blurry but she realized that she was passing through a school hallway.

Several people called her a slut, a gold digger, desperate for sex and a junkie while pointing at her face and showing photos of her. Mavie felt like she wouldn't be able to hold back the tears and all she could do was run outside.

-Xavi, be Stormi's partner. -Alejandro commented worriedly, after seeing that the girl had left the garage.

He left seconds later, while Kate became even angrier. Outside, he could see Mavie sitting on the curb, with her head down, and he soon walked over to her, sitting next to her.

-Are you okay?- Alejandro tried to see her face and as soon as she hid it with her long black hair, he realized that she was crying. - Hey! You can vent if you want.

-I would have called you already, if I wanted. -She commented rudely, while drying her tears with her hands. -How many more times are you going to put yourself where no one called you?

Mavie finally lifted her face and looked at him. Her brown eyes seemed bigger and completely teary, not to mention her nose was completely red.

-As many times as possible, I care about you. -He smiled weakly, trying to show confidence.

-And I'm really sorry, but I can't trust you.