Year 2: Third Month, Part 2

The morning after the assessment exam, excitement blanketed the Academy like a thick fog.

As always, it would be announced at noon, so students during morning classes thrummed with barely restrained anticipation. Nox didn't share the sentiment, though. He was still nervous, of course. But he was also confident of the results for both him and Ireela.

Estella announced it during noon class, handing them their grades. Nox barely glanced at his. It was no better or worse than last year. Instead, he waited until Ireela finished reading hers.

Even without asking her, he knew she had succeeded.

With a smile, she approached him and wrapped her arms around his neck. He chuckled. No words were needed; they both knew it.

When they separated, Nox looked around. Every other student in the class was grinning and smiling, for they had all passed. Estella sent him a warm smile, which he returned.

I told you, she said through their Resonance.

I know. You're right. I should trust Ireela more.

Then her thought clouded, swirling with pity. It wasn't directed at him, Nox knew, and it took him a moment to realize that one student had remained silent, staring at her test paper.

Reina's silence spread like a plague. Conversations died down, many glancing at her in sympathy. Except for one.

With a calmness that Nox found unnerving, Erian stood up, grabbed his bag, and strolled out of the classroom.

His Squire burst into tears.

***

Reina's failure was the main topic of discussion for the next three days.

It was unfair to the girl, and insensitive of the others, but that was just how things went in this school. Nox could still remember the many times he had ignored hushed remarks directed against him when he became Estella's Squire, and after he challenged Karsos to a duel.

It would never really go away. At least not until Reina had proven herself in the Final Exam. But that was still months away. She would need to do something that would change others' opinion of her before then.

Not an easy goal, considering her master. Erian was avoiding conversation with anyone, especially Nox, unless it concerned his role as Student Council Vice-President.

Nox had tried cornering him once, but the Wind user slipped away like a passing breeze. Erian had been avoiding him since then.

"Why are you so fixated on helping them?" Estella asked one day during lunch break. Once again she decided to eat with Nox in the cafeteria, ignoring the stares of most students.

With a shrugged, Nox speared the pork liver and chewed before answering, "I just don't want to see them ruining their bond."

"They aren't even bonding," Estella pointed out.

He grimaced at that. "I know. Has Erian talked to you about that? Why isn't he trying?"

"Unfortunately, no. He's remained quiet about it." Estella sighed, rubbing her temple. "I'm starting to think that he's doing this on purpose."

"For what?" Nox couldn't see Erian bringing shame on his family by actively sabotaging his own education. He had been studious last year under Aldros's guidance; what had changed?

"That I don't. But I fear for Reina. If this goes on, she may have to find another Knight."

Ireela, who had been silent at that point, spoke. "Is that possible?" she asked.

"Yes," Estella answered. "But rarely does it happen. Switching masters is a sign of disloyalty for the Squire and incompetence for the Knight. Faven doesn't need both. Students who do that are treated badly and never receive a significant role in the army."

"You think Erian doesn't want to join the army?" Nox said. It was the only reason he could think of.

Estella shrugged. "Possibly? You know him better than I do. Have you ever noticed anything odd about his behavior recently?"

Nox was silent for several seconds. He remembered the conversation they had weeks ago, how Erian seemed indifferent when Nox asked if he had fallen in love. And he acted as if studying was simply a chore for him to finish. "His heart is no longer in this school, I think," Nox said.

"Do you have any idea why?"

Nox shook his head. Despite sharing the same classroom and almost all classes, he barely knew anything about Erian. He didn't even know where he went most of the time outside study sessions and meal time. "Didn't you hear anything about his life? Rumors?"

Estella sliced through her pork chops with the same efficiency as she did while fighting. "His family is too private, I'm afraid," she said before chewing on the meat. After swallowing, she added, "But I heard an interesting tidbit while I was staying in the capital."

"What is it?"

"Well, I heard it from some of the servants. Apparently, General Dauros fired all of his family's servants and hired new ones."

It was an intriguing piece of information, but it was not enough. "You think it has something to do with Erian's school performance?"

Estella shrugged. "It's the only lead we have. But I have a feeling it's related. It's a common practice among aristocrats if they're hiding a scandal."

Ireela's eyes went wide. "It is?"

"Yes. Which means that whatever General Dauros is hiding, it's enough to affect Erian."

"How can we help him, then?" Nox asked. It wasn't their place, he knew, but Erian wasn't the only person involved. It was unfair to Reina to suffer for Erian's personal issues.

Estella sighed. "We've been having this discussion all the time, love. And the simplest answer is, nothing. This is their test as Knight and Squire. But it's not hopeless. If they perform well during the expedition, their grades would improve. If they don't... Well, it's not going to be Reina's problem. No one will fault her if her master is incompetent."

***

As always, there was much excitement when exam week was over and the school festival drew near. For the time being, Nox put the issue of Erian and Reina at the back of his mind, busying himself with school activities as the day of the festival crept closer.

"We still have three weeks," he said during an early morning student council meeting. Erian, thankfully, hadn't shy away from his duties, and he sorted the documents waiting for Nox's approval.

"Three weeks is long enough to finish all preparations," Esmeir said. "Last year, the council only got two, I believe."

Nox nodded. "That's because we'll have more stalls this time. But that means we'll have more work as well."

"We also have a mock tournament," Erian chimed in.

"A what?"

Without looking, Erian swiped a request from the stack near him and handed it to Nox. Nox scanned the document, his eyebrows rising with every sentence in it. The request was simple enough: a tournament much like the intra-school competition, but organized as exhibition duels with no real stakes.

It was signed by Estella.

She could have just asked me for a duel, he thought. The reason was obvious, of course. Teachers weren't allowed to participate in most school activities, and they were prohibited from causing harm to their students during class. But with exhibition duels, everyone could participate.

He didn't think twice. Nox grabbed his pen and scribbled his signature.