Confrontation

They rode away just before the sun rose, when every was still quiet and the coldness covered the world.

Nox yawned, rubbing the sleep from his eyes. Imprisonment had broken his daily routine, and he would need to train his body once more to wake up early. If he ever could, anyway. If the Thurinians locked him up as well, it would take him another week, perhaps two, before his body adjusted.

Still sleepy? Estella asked beside him. They were still on the main road, so her hood was up, but the playfulness in the question was clear.

You didn't let me sleep longer. Not that he minded, and as he glanced at her briefly, every rise and fall of her hips reminded him of what she did last night. And the moment they woke up.

And if I could have my way, I won't let you leave that bed.

Could you two stop flirting? Erebos grumbled. You are both worse than Faven and Arabella.

Nox snorted. The former Celestial had become quite the conversationalist ever since he and Estella reforged the Resonance. No one is asking for you to listen.

No, but your Resonance is stronger now. I can't ignore much of your thoughts, unlike before.

Curiosity flooded from Estella. Does that mean you could teach me as well, Master? she asked.

Erebos was silent for a moment. I will teach you what I can. However, since you are not my Wielder, your growth still lies in your own hands.

***

For three days they rode along King's Road, heading east to the borders. They ignored most towns, though on the brief occasions that they had to stop in one to buy supplies, Estella made sure he wouldn't be seen by keeping him hooded.

More search parties were sent out. They even encountered a few of them, and those moments always made Nox tense. Thankfully, no one suspected; Estella's and Aldros's presences were enough to convince the soldiers of the facade they were keeping.

On the fourth day, the Atoras mountain range came into view, no more than a gray band along the horizon. Stopping at the crest of a hill, they surveyed the wide plain spreading below them. Only one town was visible, nestled at the bend of a wide rushing river.

"Trifas," Aldros said. "We should stop there before proceeding further."

Erian frowned. "The meeting place isn't too far, Master. Why can't we just go there?"

Aldros pointed to the second tallest mountain, roughly north-east of them. "Zelebon Fortress sits at the top of that peak, though you wouldn't see it because it's veiled thick by a spell. There are more patrols here, even aerial ones."

Nox glanced up. The noon sun was beating down on them, but puffs of cloud drifted by lazily. He squinted. A pair of dark specks were soaring at the belly of a cloud, but they were too distant to distinguish.

Not that he needed to. Aerial patrols. Faven's domesticated griffons were larger and fiercer than the wild variations, and they were also faster. If a chase happened, they wouldn't get far on horses.

The sun was dipping low behind the mountains when they finally arrived at Trifas. It was surprisingly clean and orderly, and the people were kind.

They only stayed until the morning. His posters were posted everywhere, so Nox didn't leave his room until dawn broke. Soldiers constantly patrolled the streets. It took a tense hour before they were through the wooden gates, and no one relaxed until the walls were a distant smudge behind them.