Mission

Nox was quite certain he had heard wrong, so he asked, "Say that again?"

His lover smiled widely. "We're going to kill Headmaster Alzeron."

With a sigh, Aldros spoke. "Thurin knew about you, Alzeron knew about you long before this happened. He planned to expose you so that they will have a reason to restart the war."

Blood roared in Nox's ears. "That's ridiculous! Shadow Wielders aren't banned in Faven!"

"No, but demons are hunted everywhere."

Nox grimaced. That was the heart of the issue, wasn't it? No matter what he say, he was capable of transforming into a demon. But how did anyone even know about it?

The answer struck him, and he growled, "Karsos. He told them?"

Aldros nodded. "That's what most likely happened. He was last seen talking with someone in a cloak. We must presume it was a Thurinian spy."

He should have killed him, tore him from limb to limb. But he supposed it would have made matters worse.

"So why are we going to kill Alzeron?" he asked.

Estella pursed her lips. "Because Faven isn't going to allow your release to them. That's what they want as recompense."

"So they can execute me?"

"Presumably." There was doubt in her voice though, and it made Nox wonder if Estella knew something he didn't. The words of the king echoed in his mind, how Faven killed his wife, how she was simply defending him from the other Founders.

But why were they attacking him in the first place? He looked at Estella. Something about their current situation felt familiar.

"No, that's not what they want," he said. The more he thought about it, the more he grew certain. And it made sense now. So much sense.

"What do you mean?" Erian asked.

Nox stood up and began to pace. "The king mentioned to me that Faven killed his wife, and Erebos said something similar." Everything was starting to fit now. "His wife went on a rampage, just like I did. She was protecting him."

"Against Thurin?" Estella frowned.

"Against everyone, but the situation was definitely Thurin's idea. They... They were trying to bring out Azrael."

"Which they did," she murmured as the realization hit. "And now they repeated it to you." Her hands curled into fists. "Those bastards!"

He sank back next to her. "Why is Thurin so hateful of Faven? Something must have happened back then." Something terrible that they held a grudge for centuries.

Estełla shook her head. "Historical records didn't say anything. Not that it matters. They started this first. We have to finish it. If we kill Alzeron—"

"It would just prove that I'm a monster." He stared at her eyes. "And it would prove that they were right to attack us."

A heavy silence filled the room. Retaliation wouldn't do them any good. There had to be a way to stop the war and cleanse Faven's and his wife's names at the same time. A way to find out and reveal the truth.