Chapter Three

Ashton lost count of how many times he was asked, "Are you sure?"

He merely nodded each time, exhausted from assuring everyone it would all be fine.

Now that he was awake before dawn and ensuring he had everything he needed, he asked himself the same question.

Are you sure?

Ashton strapped his satchel shut and glanced over at Mayra still asleep in their bed. She'd struggled to fall asleep last night. He almost wanted to leave her be entirely, but she would never forgive him if he did. Even so, he decided to give her a moment longer as he carried his bag out.

Halfway to the front door, he heard Rowan's voice. He whirled around as she asked, "That's that, ain't it?"

"Why are you up this early?" he asked in return.

"Why are you leavin' without a goodbye?"

"I won't be long."

"You can still say goodbye." Rowan sat up straighter and pouted at him.

Ashton set his bag down beside the door and walked over. He gestured for her to scoot, and then he sat down beside her on the bench.

"I've never been great with goodbyes," he said, lifting his right shoulder.

"Uncle Ash, don't go," she pleaded. "This ain't fair. It's scary out there."

Ashton sighed. "Which is why I'm going, Rowan. This war needs to end, and if I can lend my hand—"

Rowan groaned and leaped up. Ashton frowned as he watched her pace around the room, wondering if any words he offered now would mend or break things further.

"He'll be back," said Mayra.

Ashton blinked and peered over his shoulder, finding her hovering in the doorway. She wrapped her arms around herself, smiling lazily at him.

"Trust me, Rowan, it'd be easy to be mad," she continued, shifting her gaze. "But it's wrong to hold people back from doin' what they wanna do. And it ain't like we don't know him and his determination to do whatever it takes to come back to us."

Rowan's expression softened then. Yet she pouted again. "I guess I'm just scared."

Ashton stood. "It would take a lot—too much—for anything to happen to me. If you were speaking to me five years ago, I'd worry a lot more, though." And he smiled.

Without another word, Rowan ran up to him and into his arms. He held her tightly, letting his smile fall from his face. He wasn't afraid, though. Truthfully, he felt nothing about what was to come. Perhaps a part of him knew this day would come.

Rowan released him and fled past him and Mayra.

"Richard didn't mention Franco, did he?" Mayra asked.

Ashton almost laughed. "No, he did not."

"That's the only thing that's got me hesitate 'bout lettin' you go."

"It'll be fine, May. If he is there, he won't do anything to me." Ashton turned to her and shook his head. "I won't let him."

Mayra closed the distance between them to embrace him. He squeezed her even tighter and kissed the side of her head. She'd been his entire life since that night they escaped the capital together. It felt strange that he wouldn't see her for so long.

She whispered into his ear, urging him to write as often as he could. He promised he would and asked her to respond as quickly as possible.

After getting Rosie saddled, packed, and ready to depart, Ashton checked on Esme and Sadie. They remained asleep. For once, he wished they were awake and causing their usual morning ruckus. Then he considered it was better this way. He leaned down and kissed them both on their foreheads.