Chapter Thirteen

Ashton withdrew his hand and released his breath. Maribel's wound finally closed. He'd almost worried he wouldn't be able to heal her completely. He worried just how deep Luc had managed to stab her. Even now, his worry lingered. Although she was no longer bleeding or in pain, Maribel kept her eyes closed and mumbled about how exhausted she felt.

"That was quite the fight, wasn't it?" he asked.

Maribel wearily looked at him. "It's to be expected. Not everyone in the royal army knows who I am or what I am doing."

"Luc Wylie knows precisely who you are."

"He believes I am the enemy now. It is still to be expected."

Ashton sighed and patted her arm. "You should get some rest. I will be here in case you need me or your mother."

"No." Maribel shook her head. "I wish to speak to Beatrice first."

Beatrice...

Ashton glanced down at his hand. Hers had felt so small in his—and so warm, too. The feeling she'd mentioned... he hadn't wanted to think about it at all, figuring it hadn't been real. Except he had felt something back in Lolitus. Like a shock going through his veins.

This time, however, it'd been something else.

"Did you paint that?" Maribel asked.

Ashton swallowed hard and glanced over at the painting she pointed at. The glowing figure, of course. "That one is popular around here. I painted it because I dreamed about it."

"It has wings."

"It does."

Maribel faced him and furrowed her eyebrows. "They described to me creatures with wings like that."

Ashton blinked slowly then tilted his head. "What do you mean? Creatures like that truly exist?"

"I don't believe so. Inferum cantivat refers to them as the Warrior Angels."

"Warrior... Angels?" He felt his heartbeat quicken, yet he couldn't fathom why those words sounded so familiar.

"They said they were once the Great Holy Deity's strongest soldiers. Each one had a magical ability and was named after it. Inferum cantivat believes these angels are the reason Beatrice has magic. Some of them blessed her with their abilities."

"What?"

"That is their belief. Their whole cause is to give more power to the one they call their Almighty. They sacrifice people in their Almighty's name. This Almighty is believed to have been the Angel of Invisibility who was born as a human during Queen Anita's time. As a human, he was Zander."

Ashton chuckled. Something in the back of his mind made him feel as though he knew this already, but he couldn't understand why or how. None of this could be true. Maribel simply frowned at him.

"I'm sorry," he said, still smiling. "I knew how deranged those people were, but this sounds like a child's tale. In fact, I find it disgusting that this is their excuse for murdering innocent people." 

"I know." Maribel nodded. "Nothing can convince them otherwise, though. This is their way of living, and this is how their mindset works. They believe their Almighty will rise and grant them more power and wealth to live freely. What terrifies me is how desperately they wish to end the royal bloodline. Whether true or not, they will still try to hurt Beatrice."

"No." Ashton clenched his jaw and shook his head. "That is not going to happen—not while I'm here. I was trusted to protect her before, and I left. I failed her. But I'm here now and..." He trailed off as he heard someone approaching. A short while later, Beatrice herself appeared in the doorway.