Chapter Twenty-One

"Luc wants to help?" Richard asked Ashton later that night.

Ashton nodded, pursing his lips. Richard sighed deeply and pinched the bridge of his nose.

"I despised the idea, too," Ashton said. "I really didn't think I had a choice, though."

"Yes, I wouldn't think so, either. Are we truly going to go through with this plan?"

"I believe we should. Admittedly, it's not such a terrible plan. It's... dangerous, which is why we must prepare for the worst. I think we should be fine, though."

"But if any of us are wounded and you go out there to heal us, Ailith will know."

Ashton frowned and folded his arms across his chest. "I know. And I've told myself there is nothing wrong with that. She deserves to know the truth about me. After all these years, she's kept her faith in me. Now it's my turn to be honest with her about this."

"I couldn't agree more, Ash." Richard smiled and pulled away from the desk he'd been leaning against. "When you return, we shall meet? Everyone?"

"Yes, we will. I am not against it if you would like to inform them all now that we have an upcoming mission. Perhaps the most important one yet. There is no telling what we will find in the Outlands, but we have the opportunity to weaken our enemy, and we cannot back down."

Richard nodded and headed for the door. Then he paused before turning the knob and glanced back at Ashton. "I have a great feeling about this. Capturing Lord Winslow will be a victory alone. I am so glad I asked you to come here."

Ashton swallowed hard and smiled in return. "I won't let you down."

"I know." With that, Richard left.

Ashton gazed around the room he'd once spent every night in—a room that once belonged to him. He wasn't worthy of it or of the title he'd carried. He doubted he would be even now. Yet being here felt comfortable despite his confusion when he'd first woken.

The hairs on the back of his neck rose. He had a sensation someone was watching him, and he smirked.

"I understand why I was chosen," he said. Not to any surprise, he didn't receive a response. Ashton chuckled and shook his head. "So, you are a Warrior Angel?"

"I am Light," it said.

Ashton turned his head, expecting to see it in its glowing form. He didn't find anything, though. "You're not going to show yourself?"

"Please be careful. You are most precious to us."

"You say that after how cruel you spoke to me before."

"You stole a life from an innocent."

"I know there could've been a better way to stop Alvarez, but I was desperate. I'm only human. You cannot fault me for that. I will live the rest of my life regretting what I did. I'm here now to do right and protect as many people as I can. I want to save Aristol as I know Alvarez would've."

"Then there may be hope, Ashton Ward. Do not disappoint us again."

Ashton gawked and felt its presence disappear.

What was that supposed to mean?

---

Luc was more than encouraging about the trip to the Ward's holiday manor... because he'd decided to invite himself. For the extra protection, he'd said. How lovely it sounded for the siblings to visit their family and for him to take a breather from the chaos with his future wife.

Ashton wanted to say quite a few colorful things to Luc. However, considering this man now knew his secrets, he realized it was wiser to keep him happy. He also supposed it was better if Luc joined them. This wouldn't draw much suspicion to Beatrice, especially with Anne. Therefore, they took off at dawn together, opting against taking their horses to avoid drawing any attention to them. They came with their weapons and some metal armor—just in case. Luc made certain Ashton saw the chainmail he wore beneath his attire.