Chapter Twenty-Three

"I can't convince you to stay longer, can I?" Ashton's mother asked him as he ensured they all had their belongings.

He muttered things under his breath but paused to smile at her. "I am sorry. I came because I wanted to see you before we head out on a large mission."

His mother took a sharp breath and touched her chest. "Please be careful out there. Do not do anything out of your league."

Ailith giggled. "Actually, Mother, there is a lot that is in his league now. There's no need to worry. He is going to do great."

Beatrice sighed and looked away from them.

"Is something bothering you, my love?" Luc asked as he stepped out of the kitchen.

She shook her head. "Nothing at all. I am merely dreading our journey back to the castle. I've tried and tried to convince Ashton to allow me to teleport us back. Alas, he has turned down my offer indefinitely."

"I won't mind if you decide to teleport yourself back while we walk."

"Although tempting, I am not leaving anyone behind." Beatrice glanced down at the boots Ailith had lent to her. At least they made walking such long distances tolerable. She only wished they were more appealing in style. Then again, she doubted most beautiful clothing was actually comfortable and suitable for traveling.

"I have something for you," Ashton's mother said, earning Beatrice's interest once more. She watched as his mother brought forward a folded piece of fabric. Ashton's eyes brightened as he accepted it from her.

"Is that the same handkerchief you gave me when I was child?" he asked, unfolding it.

"Yes," she answered, nodding. "I redid your name." She pointed to the letters sewn in black.

Ashton ran his fingers over it, and then over the lace trimming. His lips twitched when he faced her again.

"Keep it close to you," his mother said. "I hope it reminds you to come back to us."

"I will," he promised.

His mother embraced him tightly. Beatrice frowned as she averted her eyes.

Everyone then gathered at the front door together to finish saying their goodbyes. Amity stepped forward and curtsied to Beatrice.

"Thank you for your hospitality," said Luc, clutching the bouquet of sunflowers. "It was such a kind gesture to gift Her Majesty her favorite flowers."

"And she is always welcomed to come pick more," Amity said, grinning at Beatrice.

Anice snorted. "As if."

Beatrice blinked and widened her eyes. Amity elbowed her sister's side and whispered something to her. Anice simply turned away. Luc opened his mouth, but Beatrice cleared her throat, and he gaped at her.

"No," she pleaded. "It is not necessary."

"But she—"

"I'm aware." Beatrice mustered a smile as Ashton and Ailith approached. "Are we all ready to leave?"

Ailith stuck out her lower lip and nodded. Ashton ruffled her hair, earning a scowl from her, and then he also nodded.

"Very well, then," Beatrice said, leading the way out of the manor. "We have quite the walk to do."

"Goodbye, Mother!" Ailith called over her shoulder, waving her arms. "Goodbye sisters! Do your best not to miss us too much!"

"Impossible!" Amity shouted back. "We love you! Goodbye!"