Chapter Thirty-One

Ashton and Richard halted their horses when they saw the crowd fighting up ahead. Half of them were royal knights and the other half likely Lord Winslow's guards. Or rather, Ashton hoped they were merely guards and not Inferum cantivat.

"I don't see Franco within that chaos," Richard said.

Ashton swallowed hard. "I don't see Ailith either. We need to help them, though."

"If we go running into the fire, we will be risking our lives. We must think of a plan. Fast."

Ashton eyed the wall surrounding the city. He noticed the keep beside the entrance where another guard was shooting arrows from. And he smiled.

"Do you know how to start a fire?" he asked.

Richard nodded. "Of course. I always bring flint with me. What are you thinking?"

"I'm going to climb up there and distract them. Seeing how Beatrice fought against me has given me an idea. If we can start a fire and ignite arrows, we can aim where to burn to give our people a chance to flee." Ashton pointed to a bow lying on the ground. "Can you sneak past and grab that?"

"I certainly hope there are arrows nearby." Richard raised his chin higher. "I can do this."

"I'll do my best to give you enough time." Ashton hopped off Rosie and led her closer to the wall. Richard did the same.

"I'm headed that way now." Richard crouched low and made his way toward the bow.

Ashton stared up at the wall. "Should anything go awry, Rosie, run." She merely snorted in response, and he smiled at her before using the protruded bricks on to the wall to climb.

He lifted himself onto the top and stood, getting a glance inside the city. He saw people cowering behind crates, shielding each other from royal knights who pushed through the entrance.

"This needs to stop," Ashton whispered. Then he turned, finding Richard clutching an arrow. He ran up to the keep and unsheathed his dagger. The guard attached another arrow and aimed toward Richard.

"Sneaky little one," the man said, grinning wickedly. "You can't hide from me."

"But I can," Ashton said. The man gasped, and Ashton reached forward, slitting his throat. He fell forward and landed on his face.

"I'm sorry. It was either you or my friend." Ashton watched as Richard successfully ignited the arrowhead. "Now it's my turn." He rushed to the very top of the arched wall and brought his thumb and forefinger up to his lips. At the sound of his whistle, the crowd below began to scramble and look around.

Ashton whistled again, and they all halted, staring up at him.

"Ashton?" a few knights gasped.

"Lower your weapons!" Ashton demanded. "Fighting like this is not going to solve anything."

"They have our queen! They must pay!"

"Queen Beatrice is already safe and sound."

The knights gaped up at him while the Interloper guards snarled.

"We can stop this right here and right now," Ashton continued. "There are people terrified in there." He gestured behind him and shook his head. "There does not need to be more bloodshed."

A guard roared in laughter and pointed his spear upwards. "You speak as though we are not in the middle of a war! Save your words for your queen. Only she is foolish enough to believe them. Now kill them!"

Ashton sighed and met Richard's gaze, and he nodded once. Richard shot the arrow into the sky. It flung through the air and came straight down, landing right in front of the guard still pointing his spear at Ashton.