Chapter Six

Beatrice stared at the ceiling as she listened to Luc's infuriating breathing beside her. She often wondered how she managed to sleep at all every night. Tonight, however, even if Luc was elsewhere, she wouldn't be able to rest; not when she knew everyone was headed to Lolitus for another inevitable fight.

"I should be out there," Beatrice whispered as she sat up in bed. She could be there within a moment. However, she'd only been to Lolitus once before and couldn't remember many details about it. She'd been too distraught with Ashton, Richard, and Julian that night to care about her surroundings. Was it worth the exhaustion of forcing herself to go somewhere her mind couldn't envision clearly?

Beatrice glanced at Luc's sleeping form and scowled. It certainly felt worth it right now. She hurried out of bed and went to her dressing corner where she changed back into the gown she'd worn earlier. Before she stepped out, however, she noticed a particular pair of black trousers tossed onto a stool. Without much thought, she snatched them up and dug into the front pocket.

"How careless of you to leave it in there," she said as she pulled out Ashton's knight ring. Then she teleported to her study where she hid the ring in the bottom drawer of her desk.

"Now to Lolitus," Beatrice said, glancing out her window. She closed her eyes and began to focus harder than usual, repeating the name of Lolitus under her breath. According to maps, it was nestled between a few villages, roughly half an hour ride from here. She felt her skin tingle, and she smiled until Ashton Ward seeped into her mind.

Beatrice paused and furrowed her brows, keeping her eyes closed. She saw him and that curious little smile she didn't recognize.

"Ashton," she breathed. Then she felt her body float.

Beatrice opened her eyes and gasped when she landed on the ground, surrounded by tall grass. She heard startled noises from other people, and she quickly sat up despite the aches rushing through her. She winced then straightened herself more when she noticed Ashton and Richard coming toward her.

"Beatrice?" Richard whispered.

Ashton lowered his sword and softened his expression. He side-eyed Richard. Beatrice stood and cleared her throat, regaining his attention.

"Where are we?" she asked.

"Halfway to Lolitus," Richard answered. Then he blinked. "How did you know to find us here if you didn't know where?"

"I thought I would appear in Lolitus."

"Appear?" Ashton asked.

"Ah, yes." Beatrice gestured to herself. "My magic has expanded since your departure. I can... take myself and others wherever I wish."

"It's called teleportation," Richard added.

Ashton tilted his head. "How is that possible?"

"It's that Her Majesty?" a soldier gasped.

"What is she doing here?" asked Ailith.

Beatrice moved past Ashton and Richard and waited until everyone drew closer. Then she said, "I've come to offer my assistance."

"Are you here because you believe this group might be led by Julian?" Richard asked.

Beatrice whirled around, glancing at Ashton who stared intently at her. She swallowed hard and nodded. "Absolutely... yes, of course. I wouldn't miss the opportunity to finally confront him after all these years."

"I don't think he would reappear now, though."

"He's waiting for the perfect moment," Ashton added.

Beatrice quirked an eyebrow. "Which moment would that be?"