Chapter Twenty-Nine

Beatrice reached over the armrest and clutched a sword leaning against the throne. She stood, never looking away from Ashton. And as she descended from the steps, Ashton noticed the black jagged lines beneath her eyes.

"Bee?" Ashton tried.

She swung the sword forward, narrowly missing his face with the tip. Ashton blinked hard and stepped back.

"Beatrice!" Luc cried. "What's happened—" He cursed under his breath when a wall of fire appeared in front of him and Julian.

Richard remained on the stairs, gawking at Beatrice. Ashton signaled for him to stay still.

"Julian, what did they do to her?" Ashton asked.

"I... I don't know," Julian said.

Ashton huffed as he unsheathed his rapier. He firmly set his lips into a straight, holding the sword in front of him.

Beatrice grinned crookedly. She grunted as she ran at him, holding up her sword. Ashton leaped out of the way as she swung downwards. When he regained his footing, he remembered leaving his shield with Rosie, and he groaned.

"Beatrice, I don't want to fight you," he said. "Whatever they did to you, you need to come back to your senses."

Beatrice grunted once more as she attempted to swing at him again. He jumped backwards and shook his head.

"I refuse," he said. Yet he blocked her next blow, holding his blade against hers. He sharply inhaled as he pushed hers down. Their eyes locked, and he furrowed his brows.

"You're stronger than their magic," he argued. "Fight against it!"

Beatrice clenched her teeth, and Ashton stiffened as her blade became engulfed with flames. He forced himself to pull back. Then he ran off to the side as she swung, shooting fire towards him like arrows. Ashton ducked around an arch and pressed his back against the rough adobe.

"Ashton, be careful!" Julian called out. "She is combining her magic with her sword!"

"She can do that?" Ashton asked.

"It seems so!"

Ashton ran back around just as she tried sneaking up on him. He smirked back at her and shrugged. "That was close."

Beatrice growled and brought up her right hand. Ashton didn't wait to watch the ball of light form above her palm. He headed behind the throne and glanced up at Richard. Richard paled before jumping out of the way. Ashton stiffened as he watched the ball of light hit the stairs instead, melting a hole right through the steps.

"Ashton, you have to fight back!" said Julian.

"No!" Luc begged. "Don't hurt her!"

"You can't stop her otherwise!"

Ashton focused on his rapid breathing and rolled out of his hiding spot. Beatrice appeared in his sight. She raised her sword high, and the flames switched to a golden light. She then narrowed her eyes as she stomped toward him.

Bee...

Ashton frowned and stood up. He tightened his grip on his sword and mouthed an apology to her as he parried her next swing. Then he widened his eyes as he saw the damage her light did to his blade. A piece of the edge melted off, and smoke drifted from the spot. He quickly sheathed his sword and ran around the throne. She chased after him, and he skidded to a halt when she teleported in front of him.

"Ash, duck!" Richard warned.

Ashton obliged as a sword went flying past him. Beatrice teleported away before the blade collided with her. Ashton stood upright, and Beatrice reappeared behind him. He whirled around and grabbed her arm before she swung. With the way she snarled at him, his chest tightened, and his knees felt weak.