Chapter Thirty-Three

Julian sauntered into Lord Winslow's bedchamber as though he'd done so many times before.

Considering who he was, Ashton supposed he had once been comfortable enough to see Lord Winslow in here. Ashton, however, peered inside first, glancing from wall to wall. He hadn't expected to see so many portraits and furniture. It felt crowded, like someone had decided to throw in extra pieces of furniture that were no longer needed elsewhere.

Julian walked up to the nightstand on the left side of the bed and began digging through the drawers. Ashton finally entered and found himself drawn to orange lilies in front of the wide window. He walked over and smiled. Vibrant like Mayra's hair looked beneath the sunlight. He plucked one out of the vase and raised it up to his nose to smell.

"Where is it?" Julian hissed, moving to the dresser next.

Ashton placed the flower back into the vase before turning to Julian. "What are you searching for?"

"A potion," Julian murmured.

"A potion?"

"I created it years ago, and Lord Winslow took it for safe keeping. I spent a lot of time thinking about how I can make it stronger and useful. As it is right now, it's just a base."

"Huh. What will it do?" Ashton folded his arms across his chest and watched Julian toss clothing out of the dresser.

"It'll be easier to just show you when it's ready." Julian gasped excitedly and pulled out a small wooden box. He turned around, holding it up for Ashton to get a better look.

Ashton raised his eyebrows. "It's locked."

"I know where the key should be. Follow me." Julian rushed out of the room. Ashton hurried after him.

They ran down the steps and entered the hallway to their left. Ashton expected Julian to lead them into the tower again, but he kept going until they reached the end. Ashton stiffened as he stared at the linen canvases in front of them.

"Is something wrong?" Julian asked.

Ashton blinked. "This is where you... and Siria... The room you kept me in is beyond this wall."

Julian's expression softened. "I know I can't change what I've done in the past, so I won't waste my breath apologizing now. We aren't going in there to repeat that, though."

"Well, forgive me if I prefer to wait out here."

"Oh, there is no need to go in there at all," someone else said.

Ashton widened his eyes. "That sounds like..." He turned around and gaped at Dr. Caldwell. "What are you doing here?"

Dr. Caldwell pulled a key out of his pocket and dangled it in the air. "Is this what you seek, Julian?"

Julian glanced down at the box and pursed his lips.

"Thank you greatly for bringing my dear Ashton right to me," Caldwell said.

Ashton glared at him. "No... Richard was right."

Slowly, the corners of Julian's lips rose. He raised his gaze to Ashton's and winked. "Sorry, Ash. You need to understand—we all look after ourselves, and you are our key to getting everything we want." He held out his hand and caught the key Caldwell tossed at him. Julian unlocked the box and pulled out a small vial half-full of blood.

Ashton staggered backwards and flinched when he hit the wall.

"Do you also remember when I took your blood?" Julian asked, grinning. "I've kept it all this time, using it little by little for my experiments to create a true healing potion. I believe I've finally discovered what to add to this to make it work. Unfortunately for you, if this works, I'll be needing more and more of your blood." He shook the vial, and Ashton froze as it he watched his own blood glow gold.

"What did you do to it?" he demanded.

"I didn't do anything, Ash. This is your pure blood. It's special. It belongs to us." Julian held it closer to his face.

Ashton narrowed his eyes. "You are not doing anything." He unsheathed his sword and struck the vial out of Julian's grip. It flew into the air and shattered in front of Caldwell's feet.

Julian gaped at it. "No... No!" He gritted his teeth and pushed Ashton against the wall. "You think I can't just take more?"

Ashton smirked. "Go ahead." He wrinkled his nose as he forced Julian away from him. Julian lost his footing and cursed Ashton's name.

Ashton turned to Caldwell who examined the bloodstains on his breeches.

"You can run," Caldwell said. "Run as much as you please. You will never get away from me now."

"We will see about that." Ashton fled past him.

"Why would you do that?" Julian asked.

"Oh, relax, Julian," Caldwell said. "He will reunite with the savior, and we can have them both in our grasps." He laughed obnoxiously loud and shouted over his shoulder, "Keep those words in mind, Ashton! We will find you both together!"

Ashton kept running until he was outside of the manor. And there, he hunched over to catch his breath. Then he forced himself upright and swallowed hard.

"I have to, I... have to get away from—"

"Ashton!" Richard cried as he turned the corner and came into Ashton's sight.

Ashton gasped. "Richard!" He pushed toward him, his lips twitching upwards. "You're alright—oh Great Holy Deity. I was worried—" His words were cut short as Richard yanked him into his arms.

"I should be saying that to you," Richard said softly. "I saw that flying beast and couldn't spot you anywhere." He pulled back, grabbing Ashton's face. "That girl... Dahlia. She was severely burned. She looked like a walking corpse when she came down from that building."

"She's alive?"

"Oh, she's barely hanging on, but yes. She is."

Ashton shook his head. "We need to go. We need to get as far away as we can—" A flicker of movement caused him to dart his eyes toward the adobe wall. Beatrice stumbled slightly and held onto the lemon tree nearby.

Richard dropped his hands and turned around. "Beatrice..."

Beatrice looked at them, and her face lit up. "Ash! Richard!" She ran to them, nearly tripping on her gown. Ashton met her halfway, and she grabbed his arms when they reached each other, keeping herself steady.

"Seeing you right here and right now has made me happier than I have been in so long," she said, tears filling her eyes.

Ashton sucked in a harsh breath. "Bee, we need to leave. Caldwell and Julian are still inside. They've let me leave for now, but they'll be coming after us."

"That is precisely why I came as fast as I could, Ash. Caldwell is dangerous."

"I won't let him hurt any of us."

"No, Ash, he is truly more dangerous than you can imagine."

Ashton tilted his head and knitted his brows. Richard drew closer as well.

"Caldwell is more than their leader," she elaborated, letting go of Ashton and stepping back. She glanced back and forth between him and Richard. "He claims to be an angel... the Angel of Invisibility."

Ashton's heart dropped, and everything around him seemed to blur and halt. Richard spoke, yet his voice sounded distant, as though he was underwater.

"It is true," the Angel of Light uttered from nowhere. "Caldwell was one of us... until he was corrupted. Please, Ashton, you and the savior must stop him. You must save Aristol from him."

"Ash? Ashton?" Beatrice touched his shoulders, and Ashton's surroundings returned—loud and clear.

He nodded at her. "We can do this, Bee. We will do this."