Chapter Twenty-Seven

Ashton and Richard stood still as Luc marched up to them. A few noblemen tried to go with him, but Luc ordered them to stop. Then he faced forward and squinted at Ashton.

"She is my fiancée," he said. "I should be the one going out to find her."

Ashton sighed. "No one is telling you not to, Lord Wylie."

"Yet here you are with Richard. What would everyone say about me if you reached her first and brought her home safely and I didn't?"

"Lord Wylie, if you wish to join us, you may," Richard assured him.

Luc raised his chin higher. "I am—with or without your permission. The two of you seem to know what you are doing, and I need to be part of that. I want her to know that I am her hero."

Ashton wanted to laugh at that. He supposed many people wanted others to view them as heroes. He wanted his family—sisters and daughters—to see him like that. But part of him couldn't help thinking Luc's reasoning wasn't as innocent, especially considering the way he kept glowering at Ashton.

"Let's go, then," Ashton said.

"Without our horses?" Luc questioned. "If you are heading anywhere near the Outlands, we need to be prepared. The interlopers always use their horses." He called for servants and asked them to fetch their horses.

"I understand the need to remain out of sight, but we cannot risk our chances on foot," he added.

Ashton merely nodded and looked away until Rosie was brought to him. He smiled at her as he stroked the side of her face.

"Is there a reason you'd rather go alone than with the group?" Luc asked. "I'm certain Franco intends to leave first thing in the morning."

Ashton resisted rolling his eyes. "Why would you want to waste a moment?"

Luc's cheeks turned a shade a pink, and he groaned. "I wouldn't." He mounted his stallion and grumbled about hurrying.

Ashton and Richard followed suit.

They rode through the gate together with Luc in the lead. Once they were safely out of town, Ashton and Richard caught up to him.

"We've been there before," Ashton said.

"Yes, we can lead the way," Richard chimed in.

"Do you truly think I have no idea where I'm going?" Luc glanced at Richard then at Ashton. "I know the paths that will lead us there. Besides, the last time you were both there was five years ago—before this war started. You've no idea how much more difficult it is to get anywhere near the Outlands."

Ashton arched an eyebrow. "Yet you didn't seem to have a problem having us all go there to capture Lord Winslow."

"That was different. We would all be going together. We are only three right now. My only consoling factor is knowing the knights will be on their way tomorrow. Should we find ourselves in a horrible situation, they will find us."

Richard grimaced. "You'll never be the ideal travel partner if you speak like that."

"I am being realistic."

"How's about we do ourselves a favor and no longer speak for now?" Ashton suggested.

Although Luc side-eyed him and curled his lip, he indeed remained silent. And Ashton saw Richard sigh deep in relief.

---

Ashton gasped when he started to see scorched grounds and dead trees. He glanced around, remembering seeing sights like this on his way from Penuriam. But nothing as horrid as this. He could practically smell burning flesh still, and his eyes watered from smoke lingering in the air.