Chapter Thirty-Five

One Year Ago

Halcyon felt brutal in the southern region.

Ashton tugged on his collar and sighed. He would never get used to this dreadful heat. It'd already felt worse enough in the capital. But out here, it was unavoidable. He felt trapped in an endless cycle of a blazing fire.

Alright, perhaps that was a bit of an exaggeration. He was merely frustrated with the many times his hair and clothes stuck to his skin throughout the day. Moreso right now, for he was in the middle of a spar with Rowan.

Ashton sharply inhaled and wiped his forehead with his sleeve. Then he grinned at Rowan. "That was better."

"For a nine-year-old?" she shot back, raising her eyebrows.

"It's not an insult." Ashton laughed and sheathed his sword.

Rowan sheathed hers as well and straightened her shoulders. She was tall—for a nine-year-old. She was often mistaken for older—at least twelve. Those comments stuck to her like tree sap. She'd parrot them for days, reminding Ashton and everyone else in Salus that she was much more mature than any other nine-year-old.

"I can do even better," Rowan said, placing her hands on her hips.

"I never doubt you," Ashton responded. He wiped his face again and glanced toward the lake in the distance. "Let's cool down over there." Then he led the way, trying to swallow despite his dry mouth and throat.

"Aunt Mayra does," Rowan whispered as she trailed behind him.

Ashton stopped and turned to her. "She worries about you. It took me months to convince her to let you use a real sword."

"My sword ain't even sharp enough."

"Those were the conditions she set. Rowan, she loves you. We both do. We want what is best for you." Ashton resumed walking and smiled as he saw the water sparkling from the sunlight.

Rowan ran past him and reached the lake first. She kneeled in front of it and scooped up a handful of water. Ashton chuckled as she slurped it. He got down beside and helped himself as well.

"Thanks for believin' in me, Uncle Ashton," she said, placing her hands on her thighs as she sat back. "I wanna be my best! I wanna be able to protect people and our home."

Ashton sat upright and furrowed his brows when he faced her. "That is not your responsibility, Rowan."

"Yes, it is. It's everyone's responsibility to protect yer own family. You've told me that."

"That I did." Ashton smiled. "It's admirable of you to have those beliefs, but trust me, nothing will ever happen. We will always be safe here."

Rowan nodded. "But just in case, I wanna be my best. So, can we keep trainin'? Just a little longer?" She pointed up at the sky. "It's gonna be a while before the sun sets, anyway."

Ashton lifted his right shoulder and stood. "How could I deny you?" He offered her his hand, and she grinned deviously. He blinked slowly before realizing...

Then he unsheathed his sword as she leaped to her feet with hers already in her grip. A new trick she'd learned on her own. She was quick and impulsive, and she knew how to use that to her advantage.

Ashton narrowly parried her strike and locked eyes with her. "That was not bad... for anyone."

Rowan's entire face lit up. "Thank you, Uncle Ash."

After they finished, Rowan dropped onto the ground, admitting defeat... and sleepiness.

"I can't walk back!" she whined. "It's too far."