Chapter Nineteen

Ashton felt restless already.

Richard had come to see him shortly after he spoke with Ailith and Beatrice. His advice was for Ashton to feign recovery a little longer.

"If you truly don't want your sister to know, this is your best option."

Ashton let out a small whine as he sat upright on the bed. He knew Richard made a fair point. Richard often did. Yet that didn't mean Ashton always agreed—at least not with this. And of all the rooms they could've put him in, it had to be this one. His last night here had been a night of complete distress and agony. Well... it'd also been the night he'd danced with Beatrice for the first and only time. How elated and accomplished that'd felt to him in that moment—to hold her close. She'd been such a precious treasure—something so fragile and rare.

Ashton heard knocking, and he squinted at the door. Neither Ailith nor Richard even knocked. He doubted Beatrice would either. He'd made it perfectly clear they were all welcomed here whenever they wished to see him.

"Who is it?" he asked.

"Luc."

Ashton tensed. "Oh." Then he quietly chided himself and shook his head. Louder, he said, "I will be right there!" With that, he stood, pulling on a white tunic Richard had left for him on the nightstand. He ruffled his hair as he made his way over, hoping he looked like someone who'd just woken from another nap rather than someone bored out of his wits.

When he answered the door, Luc turned around. Ashton stepped back and cleared his throat.

"Lord Wylie," he greeted.

"I heard you were awake," Luc responded. "This is wonderful indeed. Ailith certainly couldn't quit crying when we brought you back."

Ashton frowned. "Yes, she informed me. I'm fine now." He moved to the side and gestured inside. "Would you like to—" Luc entered. Ashton sighed as he closed the door.

"I can no longer keep quiet," Luc said, facing him. "I've done my best to be patient to speak to you first. What did you do to me?"

Ashton raised his eyebrows. He should have known he would need to take care of this situation.

"That was unnatural," Luc continued. "It was gold and warm and it—"

"Healed you."

Luc blinked, then he gaped at Ashton. "What are you?"

Ashton rubbed his neck and lifted his right shoulder. As much as he wished he had the ability to make people forget what he wanted them to, he didn't. The truth was, Luc had been conscious the entire time, and he saw and felt everything. Not even the kingdom's best liar could reason their way out of this.

"I'm human, as you are," Ashton said. "Except I've been healing since I was a child. It began with healing myself and animals. Then, as I grew much older, I realized I could heal others as well."

Luc paled and moved backwards slowly. "I don't believe you are human."

"I am. If you ask me why I can do this, I don't have an answer for you." Ashton swallowed hard as the glowing humanoid figure crossed his thoughts. Warrior Angels, Maribel had mentioned. But that couldn't be possible. He almost wanted to laugh at himself for even thinking about that right now.

Although Luc kept backing away until he touched the door, his expression softened. His breathing sounded heavy, though.

"I understand that it is frightening," Ashton said. "I was terrified of myself, too. Then I realized there was nothing to be scared about. I can save people, just as I saved you."