Chapter Twenty-Eight

Richard snickered and shook his head. Luc demanded to know what about this made him want to laugh.

"You cannot seriously believe this?" Richard asked Ashton. He glared down at Julian. "How do you honestly expect us to believe you? You were their golden criminal."

Ashton squinted at Julian.

"I don't expect anyone to believe me," Julian responded. He hissed through his teeth as he attempted to sit up more. "I know I've ruined many, many lives. But I didn't do anything to Beatrice." He sighed and faced Ashton. "If she was taken, she's probably with Lord Winslow."

"We were on our way there," Ashton said. He nodded at Richard and Luc. "Let's continue, then."

Richard led the way back to the horses. Ashton started going with him.

"We're leaving him?" Luc asked.

"We helped him out of the carriage," Richard said. "We've done more than enough for him now."

"You can leave me," Julian started. "But I know how to get into his home without being spotted."

Ashton sighed and turned around. "Through the back. Over the wall. We've been there before. Don't you remember?" He folded his arms across his chest.

Julian laughed softly, nodding. "There's an underground tunnel we can use instead. It will lead us to one of the towers. It's better than going over walls."

"Where is it?"

"Let me show you."

"We'll do fine on our own."

"Really?" Julian grabbed onto the carriage and used it to pull himself onto his feet. Though he grunted a few times, he managed to stand upright and grin. "No offense, Ashton, but I don't remember you being the type to do something like this without getting caught."

Ashton clenched his jaw. Fortunately, Richard stepped in front of him and cleared his throat.

"It has been five years," Richard said to Julian. "Plenty has changed in that time, including Ashton." The corners of his lips rose. "We'll be fine without you." They all turned away again.

"Please?" Julian urged.

Ashton blinked slowly and exchanged glances with Richard and Luc.

"I don't want to stay here," Julian added. "They're looking for me... they'll find me and... well, I'm sure I don't have to elaborate."

Richard leaned into Ashton and whispered, "He is saying this on purpose. He wants our sympathy. This could be a trap."

"But what if isn't?" Luc asked, squeezing in closer as well. "He is severely hurt, after all."

Ashton stiffened, realizing how close they both were to his face.

Richard rolled his eyes. "They've sacrificed their own to make a point before. We can't trust anything any of them say."

"Then why has he been gone for five years?"

"That's the only thing that has me questioning this," Ashton admitted, and he pursed his lips when Richard gaped at him. "I just wonder how Maribel could not have seen him all this time."

"Easily," Richard answered. "He must've known who she was and knew her intentions, so he kept away." Luc grumbled in disagreement, and Richard narrowed his eyes. "What, Lord Wylie?"

"You sound awfully paranoid. You are spewing theories that I cannot risk believing if it means my Beatrice's life is at stake!" Luc moved away from them and pointed at Julian. "If they refuse to go with you, I will. I won't waste another moment. She needs me."