Chapter Twenty-Five

Ashton clutched the letter in his hands and swallowed hard, hoping the ache in his chest would subside.

"You will see them again soon," said Richard from behind.

Ashton turned to him. "I know. I just worry it will be longer than I'd wanted."

"It might, but it will be worth it. Your daughters will be free to grow up in a kingdom that is safe." Richard smiled. "And your sisters won't need to hide anymore."

Ashton sighed and returned the smile. Then Richard patted his back and gestured to the door.

"We should hurry and meet with Luc to go over the details." Richard paused halfway across the room and grimaced. "I cannot believe I said that."

"We will grow used to it... I hope."

They laughed with each other and made their way out. As they headed down to the first floor, they went over their own details of the plan—what they needed to take with them and what they would do in case of separations. As Richard explained the layout of the Winslow Manor, Ashton stopped walking and raised his hand. Richard side-eyed him, but then he heard it, too.

"What is happening?" he asked.

"I don't know," Ashton said. "It doesn't sound good."

They ran the rest of the way.

Franco stood in the doorway of the entrance with his arms crossed and a scowl on his face as panicked soldiers surrounded him. He glanced up, noticing Ashton and Richard, and he huffed.

"Listen!" he shouted, causing everyone to flinch and whirl toward him. "We are not going to figure out anything if we stand around like this. We are the royal knights of Aristol—protectors of our home and our queen. Right now, our queen is missing, and she needs us."

Ashton's breath hitched in his throat.

"Beatrice is missing?" Richard whispered.

"Now I want everyone to gather on the training grounds and await my orders. There is only one place she could've been taken." Franco stepped out of the way. He waited for everyone to pile out of the building before looking up at Ashton and Richard again.

"What do you mean she's missing?" Ashton demanded, hurrying off the last two steps of the stairs.

Franco rolled his eyes. "Lord Wylie came to me to inform me he has not seen her since their arrival. The Queen Mother informed us Beatrice was in the great hall shortly afterwards before storming out. No one has seen her since. If you so desire to assist us, you may join us outside." He turned and left.

Ashton and Richard faced each other.

"She could be at the hideout," Richard assured.

Ashton exhaled in relief and nodded. "I hadn't thought of that. Would she leave without informing you?"

"She has before." Richard scratched his head, and the worry in his eyes only grew worse. "When she does, however, she normally doesn't take long to return. It is usually to meet with Maribel."

"You have a terrible feeling about this, then?"

"I wish I didn't."

Ashton hurried outside despite Richard calling after him.

The soldiers were much quieter now, lined up perfectly in front of Franco, just as they were the first day Ashton came. Ashton found Ailith in the back and joined her side, followed closely by Richard who quietly asked her if she knew anything.

"I haven't seen her since we got back," she said. "I was hoping one of you would know."

"We haven't seen her since either."