Chapter Four

Beatrice moved her hands behind her back as she followed Luc toward the great hall. He peered at her over his shoulder and frowned.

"Do you ever wish to wear anything other than dark colors?" Then he faced forward, sighing. "You've worn black every day this week."

With his back to her, she rolled her eyes and wrinkled her nose. "Why does it matter what color I wear?"

"It's quite dreary, my love. In the middle of a war, you should inspire your people and bring them hope."

"And disrespect the many lives lost by parading myself in bright yellow and red?"

Luc whirled around. "That is not what I mean." Then he gestured to her gown. "I'm sorry. You are gorgeous no matter what you wear. I suppose I only wish not everything needed to be associated with death and grief."

"This is a war, Luc. Soldiers are out there risking their lives every day so we may stay safe in here." Beatrice forced a smile. "The least we can do is respect them." She rushed past him before he could begin to lecture her about her efforts. She always needed to bite her tongue whenever he did to fight back the urge to tell him to go out and fight with the knights. After all, he would be the King of Aristol. Kings were meant to fight. Nobody wanted their queen on the battlefield. Oh, no. Her mind was too precious for that.

Beatrice noticed Richard up ahead, and she exhaled in relief. As she approached, he faced her and bowed. She smiled at him until Luc caught up with her and snaked his arm around her waist.

"Sir Richard," he addressed through clenched teeth. "I thought you were out with the group that left this morning."

"We have been clear so far," Richard said. "They should be fine without my assistance."

"So, there haven't been any new sightings?" Beatrice asked.

"No, Your Majesty. We have soldiers circling the area and there haven't been any reports yet. Inferum cantivat must have retreated for now."

"You've done well, Sir Richard. Along with your comrades and the people of Aristol, I am so grateful for you."

Richard's eyes brightened. "I'm only fulfilling my duty."

"Yes," Luc said, pulling Beatrice even closer to him. "Now go on and continue doing as you do."

Beatrice side-eyed Luc. Then she gazed ahead where she saw a group of soldiers walking into the corridor. Lady Gillian led them, and she had that ever present scowl on her face.

"I'm afraid we are about to receive some horrid news," Beatrice informed.

Luc quirked an eyebrow. "Yes. Whenever she's around, it's never a good sign."

Richard turned around.

Lady Gillian picked up her pace and abruptly halted in front of them. She bowed and cleared her throat as she stood upright.

"I apologize for interrupting your meal, Your Majesty," she started. "I know you're on your way inside the great hall. However, this is quite urgent."

Beatrice nodded. "What is the matter?"

"I believe we have captured a spy. He was riding close to the capital and tried to convince us that Sir Richard wrote to him."

"What?" Richard gaped at her.

"He had no proof of this. So, we have brought him in to allow you, Your Majesty, to decide his fate." Lady Gillian stepped aside and gestured to her men. "Bring him forward."

Two soldiers moved out of the way, revealing two others who were clutching a man by his arms.

Beatrice's heart leaped, and she pulled away from Luc to stand beside Richard.