Chapter Nine

Ashton couldn't quit glaring at the same spot on the floor—right where he'd discovered loose boards earlier.

"This is not what you wanted to hear, I know," Richard said from across the room. "Beatrice assured me that her mother isn't going to inform Franco."

"We are suddenly trusting her mother?" Ashton finally looked at Richard and unfolded his arms. "If Franco finds out I'm here, he will run to tell everyone about what I did. Everyone will believe him."

"It was self-defense!" Richard leaped from the bed. "You were doing your duty and protecting your queen from a threat."

"Regardless, it will be his word against mine." Ashton sighed and shook his head. Then he murmured, "This is precisely what Mayra didn't want to happen."

"Mayra... how is she?"

"She is... fine."

"Ash, it's alright, you know? I am not hurt that you two are married and have children together. She sounded so excited about life in her last letter to me. She loves you. She has always loved you." Richard smiled meekly. "All you ever want for the people you care about is to see them happy."

Even so, Ashton rubbed his neck, yearning to stir the conversation to something else entirely. With the way Richard stared at him—waiting—he knew it wouldn't be over until he gave a proper response.

"I love her, too," he said, lowering his hand. "I only wish I could have realized that sooner. I spent so many years infatuated with a woman who would've never been interested." And he almost chuckled as he dwelled over that part of his past. Richard's silence, however, regained his attention. He eyed him carefully.

Richard stood and gazed out the window beside the bed. After a beat, he spoke again. "I don't want you to worry about Franco. I may have failed in getting rid of him all those years ago, but he is not going to interfere now. He was only made captain because Anne forced Beatrice into giving him the title." He furrowed his eyebrows as he faced Ashton.

"She may be the queen, yet everything has still been orchestrated by her mother. Even if it seems like Beatrice is making her own decisions, those decisions wouldn't come to be if her mother disapproved."

Ashton blinked slowly and released a deep sigh.

"Only when she's with us is when she is able to think freely," Richard added. "She joined us in the meeting with Franco to discuss what to do with those two we captured. Although you may not like it, she has enlisted Ailith with interrogating them."

"What?"

"Ailith normally takes care of that."

Ashton relaxed his shoulders and shook his head. Could he honestly still be surprised?

"Should they choose to remain silent, they will be killed. Oh... that doesn't make you flinch, Ash?" Richard laughed softly, though, and assured Ashton he was only jesting.

"What is the plan after that?" Ashton asked. "I'd rather not spend every waking moment in here."

"I didn't think you would. That is why I am inviting you to come scout the western region with me. That is where most of Inferum cantivat's camps currently are. They've invaded various areas. I'd like to know what they are doing. And we don't need to wait until after these two are taken care of. If you'd like, we can leave at sixth hour."

"That is fine with me."

"Perfect. I will return shortly, then." Richard walked over to the door and grabbed the knob, yet he hovered there. "Ah, pack well, too," he finally said. "We may be gone for a few days, depending on the situation we find."

"Understood."

Richard left, and Ashton looked around the room. There was dust floating in the air and piling on the furniture in thick layers. Nobody had even seen this room in so long. The owner downstairs gawked at Ashton like he had two heads when he entered and asked for a room. It made sense. Nobody was coming into town to stay these days. They were all shifting away instead.

Ashton felt sorry for what had become of this town and what was becoming of Aristol. Despite what'd occurred here, it'd been his home once. Now he hardly recognized any of it. He feared to see what'd become of his mother's flower shop. He hadn't dared to glance toward it when he'd first arrived.

Ashton moved over to the bed where he'd thrown his bag. He checked through it, grabbing what he knew he'd need and stuffing it into a smaller satchel. At the very bottom, he found his journal, and he smiled as he pulled it out. As always, he avoided the first half—all the sketches he regretted now—and stopped on his favorite drawing. Rowan sat on a bench with Esme and Sadie on her lap. They all smiled at him as if they knew he was capturing the scene and saving it for later.

"I will be home soon," he whispered. "I promise. I am going to finish this so you can all grow up in a safe kingdom." Then, without a second thought, he packed his journal into his satchel and closed it.

---

Although Ashton wasn't necessarily enthusiastic about leaving Rosie behind, he knew it'd be best to avoid the noise and leave on foot. Should anything occur, they wouldn't have to worry about their horses.

"How is the east?" Ashton asked after a while of walking in silence.

Richard sighed. "Relatively safe. There haven't been any attacks, but we have found camps nearby. I've no doubt they are waiting for their opportunity to strike. There are plenty of knights posted in every area, though. We are prepared for anything there."

"You have the upper hand, then. That's a relief."

"I would love to say we are simply wise enough—and we are—but much of this is thanks to Maribel."

Ashton glanced over at him and tilted his head. "Maribel?" He remembered her well—a timid kind girl who followed Beatrice around everywhere. She was the daughter of Beatrice's handmaid. Ashton couldn't fathom how she could be involved in any of this.

"She joined Inferum cantivat," Richard said—so casually even though it caused Ashton to choke on his own breath.

"Maribel?"

Richard smiled at him. "All part of the plan, Ash. She is our spy. Without her, we would be utterly lost. You should see her now. You wouldn't recognize her."

"No, I don't believe I would. I'm struggling to imagine the same Maribel I knew pretending to fight alongside them." Yet Ashton smiled as well.

They continued their walk, pausing every now and then to rest their feet and stretch. By sunset, Ashton noticed remnants of a camp in the distance. Richard urged him to stay low in case it belonged to Inferum cantivat.

"They sometimes make their camps look abandoned to fool people into getting closer," he explained. "Maribel informed us of that tactic. She'd seen it happen too many times."

"Ah, so they can be hiding anywhere, then." Ashton crouched behind a broken wagon tilted on its side. Richard kneeled beside him and peered over it.

"We should stay here a bit, Ash... until we know it's safe to resume."

Ashton peeked over the wagon as well. From a quick survey of their surroundings, he would say they were alone.

"You should never let looks deceive you, Ashton. If you have even an ounce of doubt inside of you, listen to it."

Ashton blinked and concealed himself again as his father's words repeatedly echoed in his mind. His nine-year-old self hadn't understood. He'd never believed he would ever understand. Now he knew perfectly well how right his father had been.

Richard joined him and asked him if he was feeling alright.

Ashton drew his brows together. "The wood is freshly burnt."

"What?" Richard almost looked a second time, except Ashton grabbed his shoulder, holding him down.

Then Ashton faced him and narrowed his eyes. "They saw us coming."