Chapter Five

It seemed wrong wandering the streets of the town. Although it wasn't entirely desolated, Ashton noted the difference between now and the last time he'd been here. He remembered rows of vendors, families taking strolls, and music. He mostly saw guards patrolling and glancing over their shoulders as if expecting an attack at every corner.

Richard ducked into the street where the inn, the tavern, and Ashton's old family townhouse resided. Ashton glanced in the house's direction and stopped walking altogether.

"It's been empty for years," Richard said.

Ashton nodded. "It's better that way. They're safer in the manor. It's quieter."

They walked toward the tavern, and Ashton turned to Richard when they reached the entrance.

"So, everyone meets here?"

"Everyone who knows about Beatrice, yes," Richard answered. Then he snickered, shaking his head. "I wish you would've been here during that. As expected, almost every single person struggled to accept the truth. It took plenty of consoling and explanation to finally get them to come around."

"Consoling?" Ashton tilted his head.

Richard merely sighed and led the way into the building. Ashton glanced over his shoulder before following him in. And while the town had been dreadfully dull and quiet, the tavern burst with life and laughter. He caught a few men cheering about their latest success in battle. Others hoped they wouldn't need to travel far anytime soon. Some looked up as Richard passed, and they gawked upon locking eyes with Ashton. Although none of them said anything, Ashton saw them become pale as if they were staring at a dead person walking.

When Richard the bar, he turned to face everyone. Ashton stood beside him and kept his gaze on the dusty floor as Richard whistled. He didn't even have to do that to gather their attention. Half the room couldn't tear their eyes off Ashton.

"We have a new task," Richard started, and Ashton watched him as he spoke. "It seems Inferum cantivat has targeted Lolitus. Although the captain believes it is a mere trick, we know their moves well. Franco is going to keep the soldiers here in case Inferum cantivat sneaks around. Meanwhile, Lolitus is going to be severely attacked. We need to go out there before sundown and surprise them before they can lay a hand on anyone. Will you join us?" He gazed around the room and arched an eyebrow when nobody flinched.

Ashton blinked and faced forward. Everyone stared at him now. He swallowed hard.

"It seems the curiosity in the room is stronger than anything else," he said. "I know you're wondering why I'm here."

"Why did you leave?" someone in the back asked.

Ashton absently ruffled his hair and shrugged. "The short story is that I didn't belong here... or so I thought. But I've now returned because I am determined to assist in this fight. As Richard explained, Lolitus is going to need our help tonight. He needs every one of you out there—" The door to the entrance opened, and Ashton froze as he recognized the young girl—no, young woman—entering.

The door shut behind Ailith, and she stood perfectly still, looking around at everyone who gaped at her. She blinked a few times until she finally spotted Ashton.

"Ash?" she gasped. Then she ran forward.

Ashton widened his eyes, and he stiffened when she reached him and wrapped her arms around him. She pulled back before he could process what had occurred, and she cupped his face.

"It truly is you," she whispered.

"I should be saying that about you," he said, feeling his lips twitch upward. "When did you get so much older and so beautiful?"