Chapter Sixteen

Ashton bit back a groan when he noticed Luc sauntering toward them.

Richard did, however, sigh deeply. "Is he joining us?" He frowned at Ashton. "Why is he doing this? He thinks he accomplished so much by believing he killed Maribel. Now he's decided to keep fighting?"

Ashton wanted to respond, but Luc walked right up to them. Richard bowed his head and greeted him. Ashton merely stood there, staring at Luc, and waiting for him to say whatever he'd evidently come to tell them.

Luc arched an eyebrow at Ashton. "Where are your manners, Ashton Ward?" He shook his head. "You are already off to a horrible start."

"Pardon?" Ashton side-eyed Richard then glared at Luc.

"Ah, did you think you only needed to impress Franco tonight?" Luc smirked. "He has asked me for my opinion as well. You'd be wise to watch your tongue and behavior around me." He then chuckled and walked over to where Franco stood with the horses.

Ashton rolled his eyes and turned to Rosie who snorted. "I couldn't have said it better myself."

"Don't let him bother you, Ash," Richard said, touching Ashton's shoulder.

"It only bothers me that they try to treat me like a child. They look at me and they can't take me seriously."

"Then prove to them how wrong they are."

"Even if I do, I know it won't change anything."

Richard withdrew his hand as Franco shouted to get everyone's attention. They both looked over at him. He stood in the center of the crowd and glanced around. Once everyone's eyes were on him, he spoke.

"The sun is about to set. We will be on our way now. Ensure you have everything you will need. Nobody is responsible for your lack of preparation." Franco clapped his hands twice. "And remember, failure is not an option tonight. We must protect our kingdom and our people."

"Yes, sir!" the soldiers answered in unison, except for Ashton and Richard who merely exchanged a glance with each other.

"Now get on your horses," Franco instructed. "Not a moment more to waste."

Ashton sighed and turned to Rosie once again, but a figure in his peripheral caught his interest. He looked to find Beatrice standing nearby, and he widened his eyes. Richard followed his gaze and scratched his head.

"What are you doing out here?" he asked her.

Beatrice made her way over. Although she smiled at Richard, she said to Ashton, "You are going to do great out there. Should Luc or Franco attempt to wrong you, they will regret it as soon as they see what you can do. Do not hold back, Ash."

Ashton raised his eyebrows. Beatrice moved her hands behind her back and inched even closer to him.

"I've always believed in you," she whispered. He smiled at her, and then she stood on the tip of her toes and pressed her lips against his cheek.

Ashton stiffened. It didn't help that he heard the many gasps and murmurs behind him. Beatrice raised her chin high and grinned as she walked away. Ashton watched her enter the castle. Then he peered over his shoulder and locked eyes with Luc whose jaw was clenched, and face was red. Franco also glowered at Ashton, but he quickly averted his attention to the soldiers, reminding them to hurry.

Finally, Ashton faced Richard.

"What was that about?" Richard asked.

"I have no idea," Ashton said.

Richard set his lips into a straight line and nodded at their horses. "We should go." He hurried along first.

Ashton lingered there a moment, staring at the castle entrance. He brought a hand up to his cheek and swore he felt it tingle where her lips had touched—soft and warm. He swallowed hard, and his chest tightened.