Chapter Fifteen

Beatrice was halfway through her meal when she heard someone enter the great hall. She raised her head and lowered her utensil when she saw Luc sauntering in. He grinned so broadly at her. She could almost swear he was coming to tell her the war had ended.

No, instead, the words that were preparing to come out of his mouth had everything to do with Maribel. Beatrice pursed her lips and waited for him to plop into the chair beside her before looking at him. He leaned in and pressed a soft kiss to her cheek. Then he hummed contently as he sat back.

"You look ravishing, my love," he cooed.

Beatrice pushed her plate forward. "Are you not going to tell me how everything went?"

"Revenge," he whispered. She merely lifted her eyebrows and he beamed. "I ran into Maribel at one of the camps. She is... not doing well. In fact, I believe it is safe to say she will no longer be an issue in our lives."

Beatrice swallowed hard. "Oh?"

Luc's smile faltered slightly. He reached forward, cupping her face. She bit down on her tongue and forced herself to maintain eye contact as he spoke.

"I know it is not easy," he said. "She was once your closest friend, and you loved her. I know it hurts to think about how badly she betrayed you by joining them. That is why I did this, my love. I wanted her to feel the pain you felt. Your reaction is what I expected." Then he inched forward again and kissed her forehead this time.

Beatrice bit down harder.

Luc withdrew his hands and stood, shooing away a few servants asking him if he wanted anything to eat. He assured them he wanted to bathe first as he pushed past them. Beatrice released her tongue when she tasted metal.

"Will you be needing anything more, Your Majesty?" one of the servants asked her.

She shook her head and stood. "No, I would like to be alone now." With that, she left the great hall and made her way to her study.

"Beatrice," she heard Richard.

Beatrice widened her eyes and whirled around. She waited for him to reach her on the stairs, and they continued upward together. Neither of them spoke until they were safely inside her study.

"Franco is giving Ashton a chance to prove himself," he said, hovering near the door.

Beatrice stood in front of her desk and clasped her hands together behind her. "And how will Ashton be proving himself?"

"Franco is sending out a group to the remnants of Celebis Woods. He says there is a camp there, and he intends to take them down. Ashton must assist with this mission and be successful. Meaning no one can escape their grasps."

"Why do I have the feeling that Franco will not be satisfied?"

"You are not the only one. Ashton told me the same as we walked out."

Beatrice brought her hands up to her chin and frowned. "It worries me what happened between them, Richard. I understand if neither of you wish to tell me, but is Franco's hatred justified? Can you at least tell me that?" She figured Richard's answer would be a quick no. Of course not. Ashton had been the soft-spoken one. He'd spent most of his life healing animals and seeing the good in everyone before considering the bad. It didn't make sense to Beatrice that Ashton could've done or said anything to anger Franco this terribly.

However, Richard remained silent a moment too long. Beatrice stared harder at him.

"I am not defending Franco," he said, "but I suppose, if I were in his position, I would be confused. In his mind, his hatred is justified. To most, I believe it would be, too."

Beatrice lowered her hands and blinked slowly. "Now I wish I hadn't asked anything at all."

"I am sorry, Beatrice. I would like to say Ashton will explain it to you someday, except I'm unsure about this." Richard ruffled his hair and turned away. "I should prepare myself for tonight. I am not letting Ashton go out there without me." Then he chuckled. "He is more than capable, but I would still like to join him."

"I would be more comfortable knowing you are there."

"Yes." Richard peered back at her suspiciously. "Promise me you are not going to teleport yourself to us again."

Beatrice furrowed her eyebrows and shook her head. "Franco will be there, so I will be staying here." The door swung open. She gawked at Luc as he sauntered inside as if she deserved no privacy.

However, he halted in his tracks when he saw Richard. Although his cheeks turned a light shade of red, he pointed a finger at Richard.

"What are you doing alone with my fiancée?"

"I was leaving," Richard responded, moving past him.

Beatrice waited until he was gone before glaring at Luc. "Richard is a dear friend of mine. He is more than welcomed in here with me."

Luc pursed his lips and closed the door behind him. He then leaned against it with his hands in the pockets of his trousers. He made himself seem even more infuriating that way. Beatrice decided to look at the wall instead.

"I can't trust any man alone with you," he said. "I mean, look at yourself, Beatrice. Who could resist?"

"I can resist," she snapped.

Luc sighed. "I would rather not argue, my love. I came here to inform you of a decision I've made." Beatrice forced herself to face him again. He stepped closer to her, the corners of his lips rising. "I felt quite useful going out there and defending our home. I spoke with Franco, and he agrees that, if I would like, I should join the soldiers on future missions. Therefore, I will be going out there again tonight." Then he grinned broadly as if he expected Beatrice to fall to her knees and rejoice such a decision.

In truth, she preferred not having to see him around as often. Yet she refused to applaud him. And then she gasped quietly.

"You are going out... tonight?"

"I am. We are headed east to—"

"What used to be Celebis Woods, yes, I know." Beatrice crossed her arms. "That is why Richard was in here. Ashton will be going as well."

"Oh, that should be interesting, then." Luc headed for the door and waved his hand. "We should have Richard warn him to do his best. Ashton wouldn't want to disappoint the Captain of the Guard." He clutched the doorknob and snickered. "Ashton wouldn't want to disappoint me either—the future King of Aristol."

Beatrice opened her mouth, yearning to remind him how he would be nothing without her. Unfortunately, he walked out and slammed the door shut before she could even take a breath.

"Future King of—" Beatrice clenched her fists and bit back a scream. Even so, she turned toward her desk and kicked aside the chair. She watched it fall over and she imagined herself tossing it out the window.

She burned Celebis Woods down, all those years ago. She wouldn't hesitate to start another fire there tonight.

"You would not want to disappoint the Queen of Aristol, would you, Luc?" she smirked at the door. "No, you truly would not."