chapter twenty-two

old friends

choi soomin

"hey soobin, what's up?" i ask, plopping down on the couch next to him.

"listen, i know we share the house, and it's just as much yours as it is mine, but, you know... we have rules, and-"

"what are you on about?" i furrow my brows at him.

"no roommates. remember? we can have people over, but other people staying with us is-"

"what? who is staying with us? i'm so lost..."

"you... what do you mean? she's already unpacking in the guest room-"

"who are you talking about?"

"kara!" he shouts.

"what? kara is back?" i ask.

"you didn't know?"

"clearly not." i deadpan.

"well now that you do, could you please get her out of the guest room?" i stare at him, still trying to grasp the fact that my best friend was finally back after so many years.

"yeah, sure— minho!" i call out, a rush of excitement coursing through me. i wanted to get home as soon as possible. minho emerges from the kitchen, hands shoved in his pockets as he looks at me quizzically. "will you drive me home?" i ask, not really thinking about how it would look to chan or soobin, or even minho for that matter.

"um... okay." he agrees, reaching over the counter to grab his keys.

"perfect!" i exclaim, hopping up from the couch and practically running out the door. i was sure the three boys were confused by my actions, but all i knew was that kara was back. it had been around three years since i'd last seen her. she is my best friend, only when we went to college, she decided to study abroad in america, and she hasn't been back since. and now that she was, i wasn't going to waste any time to hang out with her.

i approach minho's car, urgently tugging on the door handle as he casually strolled out of the house. his slow pace causing me to groan in annoyance. i could have ran to the house faster at this point.

"hurry up!" i urge, only to be met with a cocked eyebrow as he kept his pace as it was, pressing the unlock button on his key fob. i roll my eyes, finally pulling open the door and climbing in the car. i quickly pull my seatbelt on, waiting impatiently as he climbed into the drivers seat. the moment he sits down, i reach over him, pulling his door closed, and grabbing his seatbelt, pulling it across his body before securing it into the buckle.

"what are you doing?" he asks, his face still contorted into confusion.

"putting your seatbelt on." i reply nonchalantly.

"...okay." he replies, turning the car on and slinging it in reverse. of course i took the opportunity to admire him as he placed his hand on the back of my seat, glancing out the back window as he perfectly backed out of the driveway. his eyes met mine as he turned his head back to the front, but the eye contact only lasted a moment before he placed the car in drive and began heading towards my house.

only then do i realize how strange my actions were. asking him to take me home over the other two men in the house, and then being so casual with him. did he like it? was i weirding him out? he was hard to read despite what chan had told me earlier in the car. i felt like he was reading me better than i was reading him. the look on his face as my heart fluttered from his words during our quick hook-up just moments before popping into my mind.

had i blushed? had i smiled? what had i done to give away the unwanted fluttering in my heart? the way his brows furrowed for a short moment, i was sure i had done something. and now the way i was acting... was i giving it away? was i ruining what we had before it even started? but he was still here, wasn't he? he was still driving me home, he wasn't complaining, or asking questions. chan had said he was big on communication, so if he was uncomfortable, he would tell me, right?

"earth to soomin." his voice pulls me from my inner monologue, paired with his veined hand waving in front of my face.

"huh? oh! thanks minho!" i smile at him, and without thinking, i reach over, grabbing him by his jaw and pulling him in for a quick kiss. regretting it the moment i pull away as he was looking at me like i was insane. "s-sorry, i... i have to go..." i stutter, not giving him a moment to reply before i hopped out of the car, practically slamming the door as i ran to my front door. an action that i had gotten quite good at it, considering the amount of times i've had to escape his car in a hurry.

"when were you planning on telling me about that absolute hottie out there?" kara's voice fills my ears the minute i close the door behind me. i turn around, a wide smile taking over my face before i run at her, tackling her to the ground with a bone crushing hug.

"kara! you didn't tell me you were coming! i had to find out from soobin!" i tell her, squeezing her tightly. she giggled in my embrace, hugging me back with the same amount of force.

"i guess we were both keeping secrets." she chuckles, the two of us pulling away.

"oh! before i forget, i'm so glad you're here, but you know soobin and i have a no roommate-"

"i know, i was just trying to get on his nerves. i'm not actually staying here, i'm in an airbnb in the city." she explains with a laugh.

"wait, an airbnb? how long are you staying?"

"a month." she smirks.

"oh my god!" i exclaim happily, pulling her into another hug. "this is going to be the best month ever!"

"right! i already have our first night planned!" she squeals.

"im all ears."

"movie night! we have so much to catch up on. i've already built a fort in your room and picked out your pajamas. i'm gonna make some popcorn while you change and pick a movie, and then you can start by telling me about that snack that drove you here." she wiggles her eyebrows as she backs away into the kitchen, pulling a laugh from me.

this was going to be so much fun.