26

ROSALINE

I spent the next day trying to make sure that Blakely felt safe in the house. It was hard. Especially the fact that she was so quiet and would sometimes burst into silent tears. She had a nightmare last night and it took a lot of time before Alexei and I could calm her down.

I was glad he cooperated. There was no way in hell I was going to give her out to an orphanage. She wouldn't be able to understand what they were saying and they wouldn't even understand what she went through.

Being a doctor, I've treated a few children that suffered in orphanage home. not all orphanages are a wonderful place to be and I was not going to risk Blakely's health.

"Do you want to eat anything?" she shook her head. I sighed, I knew she was hungry. We had just gotten back from the hospital. Igor followed me there so Blakely could get tested.

"Anya!" I called as I led her into the kitchen. "Welcome back, dear," the woman turned to face me and smiled at Blakely who held unto my leg in fear.

"She won't hurt you," I promised her and looked at Anya. "Is Lunch ready?" I asked her. she nodded, "I made a very filling creamy soup." I had told her that Blakely needed to start with liquid food before she can be able to eat normally.

That was what I always recommended for people that have been starved for days.

After having lunch, I took her to my room and placed her on my bed before bringing out the test results to check. I looked at her to see that she was playing with the hem of my shirt.

I wasn't able to take her shopping because we needed to be at the hospital.

I then brought out my phone and dialed Yeka's number.

"Yes babe?" her voice rang in my ears.

"Yeka, please could you get some things for Blakely?" I asked her. "Luckily for you, I'm at the mall. Should I include toys?" she said. "Yes, I'll pay for it when you're done," I told her.

"Nah, it's fine. I'll be there soon," she said and hung up before I could talk back. I sighed and turned to face Blakely who was still engrossed in the design of the large shirt.

"Blakely," I called gently making her look up. Her big brown doe eyes still had the evident look of fear in them. My heart ached for her. I stretched out my hand, "Come here."

Without hesitation, she crawled to my side of the bed and sat in front of me. I made her rest on me and caressed her cheek.

"You can trust me, Blakely. I'll protect you, I promise," I whispered to her. "I miss my mommy and my daddy," her voice was barely audible. I know how you feel, sweetie.

"I know, sweetie. But don't worry, I'm here for you," I said to her. she wrapped her arms around me and snuggled closer. "Don't cry anymore, okay?" I whispered and she nodded. With a smile, I continued to caress her cheek and opened the test results.

She had no fractured or sprained bone, that was good.

She had no infection, thank God.

But she had a mild fever so we were given drugs for her to take. Thankfully, the doctor in charge could speak English so she was able to interpret all the drugs and prescriptions to me.

Blakely's tight grip on my shirt loosened and I was able to tell that she was falling asleep. This made me smile.

Humming a sweet tone, I gently carried her and laid her on the bed. She held onto my sleeve which made me giggle.

"I'm not going anywhere, Blakely," I said and put her hand back so I could get up. My phone began to ring and I looked at it to see it was Lisa calling.

"You're alive, thank goodness," she sighed in relief and I frowned. "Why would you think otherwise?"

"You haven't sent a text or anything since four days ago. What else do you expect me to think? That santa came to hire you?" she huffed and I laughed.

This girl was something else. "I'm sorry, your highness," I teased and she scoffed. "Dad let me move out. I wanted to let you know that Blaze got me an apartment and I got a job at the law firm that I worked as an intern in," she said to me with excitement.

I chuckled, "I proud of you, sis. Have you gotten settled already?" "Yeah, I finished unpacking yesterday and I resume work tomorrow. I can't wait. I'm so nervous and anxious, yet so excited!" she squealed.

"I can relate to you pretty much. But after this, you need to send me pictures," I said at took a seat at my vanity desk. I needed to see my mom after this.

"Of course, I will. Anything new for me to know about?" she asked me. I looked back at Blakely and smiled. "I rescued a little girl from nearly blowing up the whole club," I said. I heard a gasp.

"Wait, what? Did you just say a little girl?" she exclaimed. "Yes, a little girl. I think she's three," I told her.

"Damn! Who the fuck let's a little girl do something like that? Doesn't she have parents?" she bellowed.

"Calm down, Lisa. She got kidnapped after her parents were killed and they wanted to use her to commit genocide," I explained. "They? As in your husband's men?" she asked in shock.

I sighed and nearly slapped my forehead. "No, not Alexei. The Turkish mafia," I replied.

"Oh, I've heard of those people. They're not the most powerful but they're the most disgusting," she said and gagged. I raised a brow, "Where did you hear that from?"

"I overhear some conversations among dad and his men sometimes. I heard that the head of that mafia is an old man that sleeps with little girls, impregnates them and kills them. I heard he's into human trafficking too," she said and I shivered in disgust.

He is not meant to be called a man.

There was a knock on my door. "I'll call you later, Lisa," I said to her and hung up. I shook my head, trying to shake away the disgust I was feeling as I walked towards the door and opened it.

Alexei was standing there, dressed in a gray suit and black dressed shirt. He looked amazing and his cologne was so heavenly. "Where are you going?" I asked with a frown.

This man just came back from work like thirty minutes ago in a different suit.

"I have business in Iran," he said to me and my eyes widened. He can't be serious.

"You just came back not long ago. And now, you're travelling to another country?" I tried hard not to shout so I wouldn't wake Blakely up.

He sighed, "If you found out while I was gone, would you like it?"

I narrowed me eyes at him, "What about Blakely?" I watched as his eyes flickered to the girl on my bed. I saw his gray orbs soften and my heart skipped a beat.

He did have a heart.

"I'll make up for it. I don't want to be late for my flight. Be good," he said quickly and placed a kiss on my forehead before walking down the hallway.

"DON'T DIE!"

I was rewarded with a laugh and that warmed my heart so much.

Oh boy.