28

ROSALINE

"I wish you could see how happy I am. I no longer feel as if something is weighing my chest down anymore. I feel so happy, mom. I can't explain it properly," I said to my mother excitedly as if she could hear me.

Christmas was tomorrow and Anya did well to spread the holiday cheer with her Christmas cap always sitting on her head everywhere she goes. It was actually adorable.

We even had a large Christmas tree in the middle of the living room with beautiful decorations on it. It was all thanks to Alexei, Vlad and Igor. I loved Christmas so much and seeing the decorations around the house couldn't stop me from being so giddy all the time.

Today, Alexei offered to take Blakely out so they could spend some time together. How could I say no?

"I love you," I rubbed my mother's hand and walked out of the room. As I made my way to the kitchen, I felt a wave of nausea hit me. Without hesitation, I pulled out a barf bag from my purse and emptied my stomach.

"Oh, dear. Let me get you some water and lime," I heard Anya say as I stood straight and let out a groan. My head began to feel dizzy so I quickly went to sit on one of the couches.

I felt my breath leave me and I fell onto my side to lay down.

RIP to my breakfast.

This wasn't the first time this was happening. I puked my guts out this morning and last night.

"Are you sure you will be able to help me make the cake?" Anya asked as she sat beside me and helped me sit up before handing me a glass of water. "I'll be fine. I think I'm just a little sick," I told her. she took the used barf bag from me and went to dispose it.

"Then you must see the doctor. Alexei will be worried sick if he sees you like this," she said with concern as she came back to sit beside me and gave me a slice of lime to lick.

"I'll be fine, Anya. Let's not let something trivial spoil Alexei's birthday," I waved her off.

Yes, tomorrow was also his birthday and we had planned how we were going to celebrate it for him. Anya told me he wasn't fond of things like that but I didn't care.

I've spent at least four months here and he has been protecting me from harm. It was my turn to do something nice for him even if he wouldn't appreciate it.

"Rosaline"
I turned to face her. her face has a smile, but not just any smile. It was the type of smile a mother would give her child when she was grateful. I knew that smile because my mother would always smile at us like that whenever we made her proud.

"Yes, Anya?"

"Thank you," she said. I frowned, "For what?" "Alexei. Thank you for giving him a purpose again," she said to me and my cheeks heated. "It's not like that, Anya," I tried to explain but she shook her head, saying something in Russian that I couldn't understand.

"My dear, you make this cold hearted man do beautiful things without him even knowing it. I see him smile whenever he watches you do something. He has changed, my dear. He is no longer as uptight and quiet as he used to be. I am so happy," there were tears in her eyes.

It made it hard for me to speak because I felt so emotional. "Anya, you don't have to thank me. I didn't do anything," I said to her. all I did was annoy him and get him mad at me almost all the time.

"I've spent enough years on earth to know what is true and what is not, Rosaline. My Alexei loves you very much," she said to me and my eyes widened.

"There must be a mistake," I countered with an uncertain laugh but she only smiled. "I wish believing in love wasn't hard these days. Well, I have bread in the oven. Get your energy and we can proceed to our plan," she patted my knee and stood up to leave.