Chapter 7

Olivia Godfrey was sitting; perched upon one of the sofas in her living room with a magazine in her hands when Roman arrived. She heard him, first- the jamming of his key into the front door, and then a few stomps inside. She could tell that he wasn't in a good mood. Oh well- it's just a stage, she thought. After she told him what he really was, he would no longer act this way... hopefully.

Next she heard the fridge door open, and the clink as the bottle opener was used.

"Roman," she called out to her son. "I don't appreciate you drinking beer at this time of day."

"You never much cared before," Roman leaned against the lounge door. He was wearing a white vest and faded black jeans- it was his little way of defying her. Not that he didn't defy her in more obvious ways as well.

He swung the beer and gave her a bitter smile. "But I guess that's because you're never around."

"Roman," Olivia sighed. "I know you try your hardest to push your mother away. But I just have one question."

"What?" Roman raised his eyebrows. The boy was impatient.

"Did you have anything to do with the... incident... at the weekend?"

"Are you fucking kidding me?!"

"Do not use that foul language-"

Roman laughed in her face. "Why the hell would you think something like that?"

"So you didn't?" Olivia stood up and prowled over him.

"No." He squirmed slightly. Olivia analysed the response. Could it be something to do with his... urges? She knew he had them- she had them too. Before she could ask him anything else he took a glug of his beer and asked: "Did you have something to do with it?"

"What?" Olivia was shocked, although she shouldn't have been. "What on earth would give you that notion?"

"You and that white tower. You're always up to something."

"Don't be ridiculous," Olivia felt uneasy now that Roman had turned the situation around, yet nevertheless kept her cool. "Go and do your homework- and leave that beer down here."

Roman scowled as she took the drink off him, and he stalked away. Olivia sat back down, and picked up the magazine- but she didn't read any of the words. You're always up to something. It was not good that her own son didn't trust her. She had to work on that. But how? Olivia had never been a good mother, even to her favourite child- her perfect boy, Roman. She sighed. She would just have to try harder.