Chapter 11

Linda answered the door immediately. Destiny rushed in and plonked her bag down on the wooden kitchen table, careful not to destroy what was inside.

"Alright, Linda- I've got everything you asked for. Well, not what you asked for, per se, but what was needed to do what you asked me to do."

"Hey, slow down," Linda stopped Destiny as she moved towards a carrier bag resting on one of the chairs. "And stop confusing me."

Destiny took a deep breath and finally built up the courage to actually look into her aunt's eyes. They were dry- Linda recovered quickly from tragedy, Destiny supposed- and sympathetic. "Look- I- I'm just freaking out a little, okay?" Destiny sighed. "This is really bad, Linda."

"I know." Linda frowned.

"I mean, I warned him to stay away from the vargalf. Why couldn't he just have listened?" Destiny was still frustrated with Peter, no matter how worried and upset she was.

"I'm irritated too, sweetheart. But you can't fix the past."

Destiny nodded. "I know. All we can do is try to make him better. I brought the items you need."

"The tongue?" Linda winced at Destiny's resounding facial expression, which made it clear that yes, she had got the tongue, and yes, it was horrific. Destiny pulled several jars with the different ingredients in out of her pack- soil, maggots and human tongue. She also took a needle and thread out.

"So, talk me through what's going to happen," Linda said.

"We coat Peter's wound with dirt and maggots. Then we sew his tongue back on."

"Sounds simple," Linda commented.

Destiny snorted. "Yeah, if you don't count the fact that Peter will be awake the whole time. You know he doesn't react normally to pain medication."

Linda nodded and stuck her hands in her blue jeans pockets. "Well, I'll go and give him the news. I'll do what I can to prepare him." Linda hoped it wouldn't be too painful for her boy. Lord, she hoped.