Chapter 18

It wasn't long before they found a room they could use- it was by the girls' toilets, and contained everything from art chalks to old science equipment. Oh- and luckily- toilet paper. Peter shut the door as soon as Shelley had shuffled inside- hopefully no one had seen them. Neither of them really wanted anyone to get the wrong idea.

"Is it alright if we use this toilet paper instead of bandages?" Peter picked up one of the rolls with an amused expression on his face. Shelley noticed that his nails were long and clawed... just like those of the werewolf that people made him out to be. She shook her head. Peter made the move to take off her old bandages and she shook her head again, but this time more violently.

"Alright, alright," Peter mumbled, and began to wrap the toilet paper over her old bandages. "What's up with your hands anyway?"

Shelley shook her head again. She didn't want to talk about her deformed hands. Peter shook his head and raised his eyebrows, seemingly amused. "You gotta give me something."

Shelley placed her phone on one of the shelves lining the room and tapped into it. "My hands are ugly. I am ugly."

Peter immediately stopped wrapping the toilet paper around her hand. "What? Shelley, no! You're beautiful." He gripped her hand in both of his, like he was shaking the hand of a royal family member. Shelley knew he was just lying to make her feel better, but she found herself blushing anyway. And even though she knew Peter- or anyone- would never truly find her beautiful, she found herself thinking what if...? nevertheless.

She immediately banished the thought from her mind and tapped into the phone again. "Do you need some antibacterial wipes for your face?" She reached down with one hand and pulled the packet from her rucksack.

"You're the best," Peter winked at her, and Shelley found herself blushing yet again. Suddenly a bright shaft of light fell upon the two of them as the door was opened, and both of them looked around guiltily.

"What are you two doing in here?" It was Letha.