Chapter 21

Thirty minutes later and they were sitting under the bridge near Peter's house, clinking glasses of whiskey they had stolen from Norman Godfrey's office and cracking jokes. Sure, Roman had skived before- but never like this. He pulled out a cigarette from the packet in his coat pocket and lit it up. He offered one to Peter, who graciously declined. To Roman's surprise, Shelley demanded one via her talking app.

"No, Shell. Mom would go crazy."

"She is already crazy," Shelley said, and Peter and Letha laughed.

"I've already given you whiskey- and if she finds out about that, god knows what she'll do. We already have to sit under this bridge like trolls just so she can't see us."

"Maybe none of us should be smoking around Letha," Peter pointed out. Roman hadn't thought of that before- it was weird that his cousin was pregnant. What was stranger was that she had told them that whoever had impregnated her was an angel.

"Yeah, I bet the angel daddy doesn't like that." Roman pinched the end of the cigarette with his fingertips; consequently putting it out and giving himself a nasty burn in the process.

Letha rolled her eyes, and Roman saw the others looking at his fingers in concern. "I'm still bored," Roman told Peter. "I thought you said this was going to be fun." But he wasn't, not really. This was the most fun he'd had in weeks- and it was all coming to an end soon, so he might as well enjoy it while he could.

"Let's go to my place," Peter proposed, and stood up. His clothes weren't particularly dirty from the riverbed floor, as the river had dried up years ago. All that was left was a few muddy holes filled with rainwater and animal paw prints. Unfortunately, Shelley wasn't so lucky. Her entire outfit was covered with dust and dirt, and her shoes were caked in mud. Roman's sister had never received the lucky end of the stick.

As she stood up, she almost fell over. "Woah there, sis," Roman laughed. "I think you're a little bit drunk."