Chapter 14

The dream landscape looked just like the pet shop downtown- well, it would have if any of the animals were there. Instead, their cages had been tossed carelessly about the room, witnesses to some previous unnatural disaster. Roman stood with his hands in his coat pocket, his head cocked. He was staring into the enclosure of a boa constricta. The snake was biting its own tail, and was coiled up into a squashed circle. Ouroboros, Roman thought, and looked up at the clock on the wall. Time was standing still.

Roman turned around, and there was Peter. They said no words; had no need to say any words. Roman felt a sense of tranquillity, and knew that his friend felt it too. This was their destiny. They walked outside together, their very footsteps in sync, and Peter looked up at the full moon. His facial expression was emotionless. After he had studied the moon for a while, and Roman had watched him study it, he turned back to Roman.

"The vargalf can Turn on a sick moon."

Roman reached out with his left hand and pointed to Peter's fingers. "Your first two fingers are the same length."

They turned away and walked in opposite directions. Neither were aware that their conversation hadn't even made sense- both felt like they were floating, and that they didn't ever have to get up. Peter saw the White Tower rise up behind the other, smaller buildings, and he walked towards it.

Suddenly he awoke, and sat straight up in bed. It was Christina. Christina was the vargalf.