Chapter 28

It was Peter's first visiting day at the prison.

"Are you fucking kidding me?" Peter said.

"What? They don't let you bring beer in here," Roman replied indignantly, seemingly knowing his friend's thoughts. That was, if they were still friends. After Peter had received a life sentence for the murder of Christina Wendall and Roman had walked free, Peter wasn't sure how he felt about the other boy. Peter lifted the soda bottle to his lips and savoured the tang of diet cola.

"I'm not stupid- I did realise that. I just thought that maybe, I don't know, that if Godfrey money can keep you out of prison then it sure can get me a beer. And preferably one that isn't warm and flat- and already opened!- like this shit," Peter snorted.

"You're not still bitter about that, are you?" Roman leant in. A guard told him to lean back and Roman gave him the finger.

"I-"

"There are two keys in your drink," Roman said quietly, urgently. "One for your cell, and the other for the main front gate- you know, the one between the reception and your cell? I can pick you up late tonight in the car park. You'll have to do the rest yourself." Without another word, he got up and left. Peter stared down at the drink in his hand. How had Roman even managed to get hold of this? Even with Godfrey money it would have been expensive... maybe Roman really did care whether or not Peter rotted away in a cell or not. Peter chuckled to himself. Of course Roman did- he was his best friend.