Part One: Prologue

"Who was she?"

"She was the most incredible girl I ever knew,"

"Did you love her?"

"Of course I did, but that's not the best part of the story,"

"What is the best part?"

"Let me tell you,"

Nicholas Merlin, was a descendant of Merlin the Great, and he married an equally powerful witch, Cynthia Druid. Together they had three children. The oldest was a dark haired boy named Jeremey, he was already in his third year at Hogwarts when his sister was born. Amelia Merlin was the second child. She had long, straight, mousy brown hair, which seemed to be constantly moving. As though it were actually liquid. Her beauty was nothing extraordinary, yet with a stellar combination of charisma and sillage, she turned heads everywhere she went. Her eyes were a soft blue with a gold ring around the pupil and her smile radiated happiness like no other. She was thin with long legs and excellent posture. The third and final child in the Merlin family was William.

Not many people are aware that William actually existed at all. He died at age four, via werewolf attack. They say it was the work of the Death Eaters shortly after the fall of Lord Voldemort, and the family was forced to watch as the infamous Fenrir Greyback tore him apart. Amelia was five years old when it happened. They say it drove Nicholas mad and his wife was unable to ever perform magic again. As member of a very powerful and ancient wizard family, this was a scandal no matter the circumstances. A squib in the Merlin family, an absolute outrage.
What was worse, Nicholas was sent to Azkaban six years after the attack on his son. They say it was because he tortured his children, in the attempt to "prepare them for what the Death Eaters were going to do". They say his daughter Amelia blinded him with some explosion of magic that came when he went after her mother. It was then, she ran to her best friends home. Ginny Weasley lived only three minutes away when you ran through the field between their houses. Molly Weasley immediately contacted the Ministry and the authorities were there within seconds.

Exactly one month after he was sent to prison, Amelia Merlin arrived at Platform 9 and 3/4, to board the Hogwarts Express.