Part Sixty Five: Another Beginning

The kind of fear Amelia was used to was like a burning hot fire. Something that made your blood boil and adrenaline rush through your veins. The sort of fear that made you run for your life or fight to the death.

This fear was nothing like that.

It was cold. It froze you to the spot. It made you paralyzed and unable to defend yourself. It tunneled into your mind and ripped out your soul.

Amelia recognized the hooded creatures that glided past the compartment, Dementors. She watched as one of them opened the door and observed the group of teenagers. It drew a rattling breath and any happiness that was left in the room was suddenly vacuumed out.

Amelia felt like she was under attack. And there's only two things to do when under attack, fight or flight. And she wasn't about to run anywhere.

So she stood up awkwardly, like it was the first time she had ever attempted such a feat, and stuck out her chin in defiance.

"Get the fuck out." She said slowly. The Dementor looked down upon her and for a moment all the molecules in the air seemingly stopped moving. Amelia stared hard into the black hood of the creature and she felt it trying to resist what she wanted.

But then it turned away and glided out of the compartment. Amelia thought it was rather anti climactic, she was sort of preparing for a fight and was slightly disappointed she didn't get one. But the looks on her friends faces when she turned around to face them were priceless.

"I've never seen anything like that before!" Neville gushed.

Lavender clapped her hands excitedly. "Oh, Amelia! That was amazing! I thought I was going to die but you saved us!"

"I don't think it was going to kill us, Lavender." Parvati said shakily. Everyone was uneasy after the presence of the Dementors. They left a certain feeling that was rather hard to get out. The group sat in silence for a while and tried to regain their calmness.

It was interrupted rather suddenly by Oliver Rivers bursting through the door. "Amelia! Are you okay?"

She laughed lightly. "Of course I'm okay. It takes more than a Dementor to get to me."

"Yeah I know that!" Oliver grinned at her. "Just wanted to make sure you hadn't killed them all off or something."

"I was very polite actually!" She said as Oliver sat down beside her. "I calmly asked it to -what was it exactly- oh yeah! To get the fuck out."

"Of course you did." He laughed and the room warmed up with the sound of it. "I wouldn't have expected anything less incredible."

Amelia shrugged. "It's just what I do!"

The rest of the ride to Hogwarts was strangely lighthearted even after the Dementor attack. Oliver's presence definetly cheered the place up and it didn't take long for everyone to start joking around a bit.

They reached the castle and boarded the carriages that took them up to the school. Amelia could feel the excitement building the closer they got. Her heart beat inside her chest so loudly and blood rushed to her face as the castle loomed gracefully in the near distance. They unloaded and she had to resist the temptation to run at the large doors that opened into her home. Amelia sat down at the Gryffindor table with her usual crew and occasionally a few friends from other houses came over to say hello. She was having an absolutely wonderful time when Dumbledore stood up to make his annual speech. Amelia always had the most unusual feeling that she couldn't quite trust the man, everyone else seemed to though so she tried her best to bury the persistent feeling.

"Welcome to another year at Hogwarts! I have a few things to say to you all, and one of them is very serious, I think it is best to get it out of the way before you become befuddled by our excellent feast..."he cleared his throat and continued. "As you will all be aware after their search of the Hogwarts Express, our school is presently playing host to some of the Dementors of Azkaban, who are here on Ministry of Magic business. They are stationed at every entrance to the grounds, and while they are with us, I must make it plain that nobody is to leave the school without permission. Dementors are not to be fooled by tricks or disguises - or even Invisibility Cloaks. It is not in the nature of a Dementor to understand pleading or excuses. I therefore warn each and every one of you to give them no reason to harm you. I look to the Prefects and our new Head Boy and Girl, to make sure that no student runs foul of the Dementors."

At this point Percy seemed to sit up much taller and give everyone an encouraging smile, as if to say Don't worry guys, I've got this . Which forced Amelia to stifle a laugh. Dumbledore continued, "On a happier note, I am pleased to welcome two new teachers to our ranks this year. Firstly, Professor Lupin, who has kindly consented to fill the post of Defense against the Dark Arts teacher." there was some scattered and unenthusiastic applause and Amelia tried to send good thoughts to the shabby new teacher. "As to our second new appointment, well, I am sorry to tell you that Professor Kettleburn, our Care of Magical Creatures teacher, retired at the end of last year in order to enjoy more time with his remaining limbs. However, I am delighted to say that his place will be filled by none other than Rubeus Hagris, who has agreed to take on his teaching job in additions to his game keeping duties."

The Great Hall broke into a much more welcome applause, especially the Gryffindor table. Amelia was excited to learn from Hagrid, he was gamekeeper after all so he knew what he was talking about! "Well I think that's everything of importance!"Dumbledore concluded. "Let the feast begin!"

The food was amazing as usual and Amelia hadn't felt this happy in a very long time. The sense of belonging she had at Hogwarts was like nothing she had ever known before. She felt warm inside and safe, like someone had wrapped her tightly in a cozy blanket. Which sounded corny and ridiculous but that was how she felt. Amelia smiled at the beautiful people around her, and when she went to bed that night, her usual nightmares didn't come. She didn't have any dreams at all, it was just the pure and utter bliss of finally coming home.

A/N Hey everyone! I'm really excited for this new year at Hogwarts and I hope you are too! Get ready for a lot of new things happening, many questions you have will be answered and things you didn't even consider to question will come into play! I hope you've been paying attention because this year is where it starts to come together! Comment with any questions you do have and I will make absolutely sure they are answered!