Part Eighty Seven

Dear Amelia,

I have a few friends who know a lot more about Druid magic than I do so I went to them to ask their advice on your situation, I hope you don't mind.

Let's start with Cedric. I'm sorry you had to break things off with him but honestly he didn't seem like the right fit for you anyways. You're too fiery for that boy. But the reason why he's being a dingus doesn't have anything to do with him really. Apparently your magical ability is increasing rapidly and the absence of Akkedis in your life right now is going to help it as well. By telling Cedric to forget about it, he really did. You may find you have control over small animals and any sort of plant. And when you choose it, people too.

You just have to exercise caution with this. It takes a lot of magic to control a human being and it will wear you down faster than you can imagine.

Like I said before, your powers are going to be increasing. I'm not going to tell you to be careful or play it safe because that's the last thing you're going to do. So instead I'll say this, have shitloads of fun with it. Do something crazy and potentially dangerous. Have adventures Amelia, you've earned it after everything you've been through. Throw that amethyst ring in the lake and don't even waste a moment on thinking about Akkedis or Kalishterya. Live in the moment and be ridiculously happy.

I hope some of that helped and I hope you enjoy the gift I sent you.

Much love,
Jeremy

Inside the envelope was a small photo of Amelia and Jeremy when they were younger. She was about three and Jeremy looked sixteen. They were in the golden field and he had Amelia on his back, she was laughing as her hair tossed in the wind. Jeremy looked happier and younger than Amelia had ever remembered him. There was an innocence in the picture that had ceased to exist.

Amelia smiled, folded up the letter and shoved it in her pocket. Jeremy was right. She should just have a good time and think about herself. Although Akkedis had been exciting, he was also terrifying and that was not something she needed more of in her life. Amelia wanted to be happy. So she went to go find the person who made her happier than anyone.

She spotted him immediately at the table, eating breakfast with his friends. His head turned as though he sensed her watching him. His mouth opened into a large grin and he strode over to where she was standing.

"Amy!" He hugged her tightly. "Sorry to hear about you and Cedric. Tough break, love."

Amelia laughed lightly. "Oh shut up."

Fred grinned and pulled out of the embrace. "Did I mention how wonderful you look today?"

"I don't think you did!" She laughed again at the look of pure shock that crossed his face.

"How rude of me! Amelia Merlin, today-" he paused or dramatic effect. "You are radiance. You are grace and beauty. A gift from the gods! I adore you today."

"You adore me today?" She scolded. "What about every other day?"

"Well it's not every other day you're single now is it?" His voice was teasing but Amelia saw sincerity in his gaze.

"I guess that's true." She said in a quiet voice, but her eyes held a small, blazing look.

"You guess?" Fred raised an eyebrow.

Amelia looked at him hard. "I know."

He grinned. "You always do."

"I wouldn't be me if I didn't." She said.

Fred stared at her for a moment. Whenever he looked at her, Amelia felt like he was seeing every detail of who she was. There were two interesting things about that. One, Fred actually knew every detail. He knew her strength and her intelligence. He understood her passion and her empathy. Fred knew the best and the worst that she was and he loved every part of her.

The second interesting part was that Amelia didn't mind this intensely personal gaze. Instead of feeling vulnerable to his stare she felt empowered. Although she was entirely exposed to Fred, she was stronger with him.

"I have something for you." He said slyly and reached into his pocket. From it, he pulled two tickets. "It's a band, they're playing at this little underground place in Hogsmeade. I think you'd like them!"

"What's their name?" She beamed at him, clearly delighted.

"Hippogriffs and Whores."

"That's awesome!" Amelia laughed and Fred gave a small chuckle.

"So you'll come?"

"Of course!" She put a hand on his shoulder. "How can I ever refuse you?"

He kissed her on the forehead. "Come eat breakfast with me."

"Of course." They walked back to the table and sat down beside each other. Fred kept stealing pieces of food off her plate and Amelia kept pretending to be annoyed with him.

She looked forward to spending the weekend with Fred at the show. It was going to feel so good to get a release and have a small adventure. She needed this to take her mind off of Cedric and Kalishterya. That night Amelia stared at the picture of her and Jeremy. She was so glad her brother had given it to her. It was a good reminder of how much they loved each other.

Friends come and go but family is the one thing that will always be by your side. And in a family like the Merlin's, Amelia appreciated her brother more than anyone. Jeremy always had the answers, the solutions to any problem that needed fixing. He was always there to help and never asked for anything in return.

When the weekend finally arrived Amelia was more excited than she had been about anything for a really long time. And although she considered herself quite intelligent, there was no way he could have predicted what would happen next.