Part Ninety Eight: A letter from Al

"We're going to compete." George said the moment they were allowed to leave the Start of Term Feast. Dumbledore had announced that there would be the Triwizard Tournament held at Hogwarts this year and the twins were adamant about their position in it.

"We have to." Fred agreed. Amelia had forgiven him quickly, as she always did, after he had brought her a cheese scone (which was her favourite). Something about the small action had made her smile enough that her anger cleared away. She still hadn't told him about everything Al had told her but what Fred didn't know didn't hurt him.

"How're you going to manage that?" She asked.

"Simple"

"Brilliantly simple really."

"Aging potion."

"Shouldn't take anytime to come up with one."

"It's not a problem really."

"Dumbledore's mad if he thinks we're not going to enter."

"Only one of you can get in you know?" Amelia pointed out.

Fred waved aside her comment. "Not important. We can cross that bridge when we come to it."

"Yeah we can work something out for that. Step one is getting in to the competition."

"I feel like it's dangerous." she said.

"That's the point!" George laughed. "Honestly, eternal glory comes at a price you know."

"I know that! But I'm just saying, it feels like a waste."

"How?" The twins were incredulous.

"I don't see the point in risking your life for glory. That's stupid. If you're going to risk your life for something then make it something worth while."

"You wouldn't understand." Fred muttered.

"Why not?"

"Because! You just wouldn't!"

"Explain it to me then." Amelia folded her arms. George had wandered off to talk to Lee while she and Fred sat together in a small corner of the common room. "Go on!"

"It's like-like in the stories. The ones where men go into battle and heroes are made into legends and they live for all eternity. And that's why people do it. To be remembered."

"I'd rather be alive."

"Well you can't be that forever, one day you'll die. And the only thing that matters when your dead is what people remember about you."

"Say what you like, I think being alive is worth more." She shrugged and laughed lightly at Fred's face.

"You're perfection you know that right?" He beamed at her, leaned in and kissed her cheek. Amelia felt herself blushing profusely.

"What was that for?" She laughed.

Fred grinned. "Just being friendly."

"Someone might think you're up to no good."

"They'd probably be right."

"I'd hope so."

"Well now, I couldn't let you down. Could I?"

"Never."

"That's what I thought!"

"I should go to bed."

"Do you have to?"

"I've got an early class tomorrow."

"So do I."

"Yes, but no one cares if you don't pay attention."

"And they care if you do?"

"No, but I still have to do really well. There's an expectation there."

"Only from yourself."

"That doesn't make it less valid."

"I'd say it makes it more valid."

"I really do have to get to bed though. The girls went up ages ago."

"I wish you'd stay."

"I know."

"Alright. Get outta here! Go to bed you gnome!"

"Gnome?"

"Yeah why not."

"Okay whatever. You are so weird."

"You like weird."

"Goodnight Fred."

"Goodnight love."

She climbed the stairs and sunk into her familiar bed. Not bothering to change she pulled the covers up to her chin and rested her head against the pillow. As she did so she heard a crunching sound, Amelia lifted her head and felt underneath to find a letter.

She sat up and opened the sealed envelope.

To Queen Amelia, First of Her Name, of House Merlin. Majka of the Okami People and Rightful Queen of the Nine Cities. Ruler of Kalishterya and Daughter of Wolves.

Dear Amelia,

(That section up there is your full title. I thought you might like it.)

I hope the first day back at Hogwarts went well. I just arrived back in Kalishterya after days of travelling. I'm happy to say everything is looking well. We are moving north with our small (but strong) army. It will be much easier to start there and work our way south. The Eye tells me how excited she is to meet you and insists that you visit during your winter break. So I will pick you up from the train station and escort you to Kalishterya when you have the time off from school. I can't impress upon you enough how important your schooling is. Our society is rooted in magic and being able to master it is key to your success as a queen. Speaking of that, I should probably get in the habit of addressing you as my queen. It does feel strange though, I haven't referred to anyone as my queen before. The Eye has a gift for you when you arrive and I think you'll be very pleased with it. I can't tell you what it is because that would spoil the surprise. When it comes closer to Christmas I will send you another letter with some more information on what will be happening. Until then just focus on being you.

I wish you every blessing, may the gods be with you.

- Al

She folded the letter and smiled to herself. Amelia couldn't contain how happy she was with the news. Only four months until she would be able to see her kingdom. Four months until everything she wanted would be in her grasp.