Part Seventy Seven: An Amythest

A/N Just so you guys know, Jeremy's cigarettes aren't harmful to him or anyone else. His cigarettes are a combination of betony, African violet, cannabis, and astragalus root. These plants all come together to form Jeremy's own personal blend of a cigarette.

Since he is also a wizard (and descended from Druids just like Amelia) he doesn't get any negative side affects from smoking, so no lung cancer or anything like that. This is totally healthy and just something he does. So his habit isn't gross or anything like that. Thought I would clear that up, if you guys want, I recommend researching the medicinal properties of these plants, HINT it might give you an insight into Jeremy....

PS all the information about amethysts is correct and true. If you believe in the power of crystals, then this is an awesome stone and what I describe down below is just a small portion of what it can do for you! Highly recommend this beauty!

The faint smell of a cigarette being lit wafted through the garden and the sound of breathing filled Amelia's ears. She matched her breaths to the deep inhales her brother took of the violet smoke. She was getting more used to the habit of his and it didn't seem as gross to her anymore. She almost enjoyed the scent. Almost.

"Here, I've got it somewhere," Jeremy rummaged through his pockets, there seemed to be almost a million of them in that short jacket of his. It didn't help that his hair kept getting in his eyes and Amelia was oddly reminded of Oliver for a second when Jeremy went to push the hair away.

Finally he found what he was looking for, it was a small, velvet blue bag with gold drawstrings. He held it out to Amelia and she took it, eager to find out what was inside. She opened the bag, put her two little fingers inside and pulled out a stone. It was a lilac colour, not unlike the smoke from Jeremy's cigarettes which was billowing from his mouth.

"What is it?"

"It's an amethyst. And it will help with your dreams." he continued looking through his pockets, trying to find something else as he talked, the cigarette hanging lazily from his lips, but it didn't alter his speech in any way. "The amethyst will focus your dreams, make them more life like and you'll be able to tell you're dreaming-"

Amelia shook her head. "I don't want that. I want to make the dreams stop."

"Yes I know that. And this will help! You're safe when you're awake yes? Akkedis has almost no power of you while you're awake right?" she nodded and Jeremy continued hurriedly. "Well this is going to strengthen the connections between your subconscious and your conscious. You can fight it and do something about the dreams, you won't just be standing there waiting for the next horrible thing to happen. You can beat Akkedis at his own game on his own turff."

"But won't it work the other way too? Won't Akkedis be more able to have control over my when I'm not asleep?"

"Not if you beat him to it. Not if you shut your mind off to him before he even realizes the chance he had! I know it's risky, but it's even worse to allow him access to you every night. He could be putting thoughts into your mind and you wouldn't even realize it." His cigarette was almost down to the end and his inhales were getting shorter and harder. He was still fumbling around his coat for something and Amelia found it really distracting. 

"Amelia, I wouldn't give this to you if I didn't think it would help. This crystal is your chance to start fighting back. Show him that you are not just something he can play around with, show him what happens when he fucks with Amelia Merlin."

From his pocket he finally found what he was looking for. Jeremy pulled out a small silver ring and tapped it with his wand, the amethyst shrank to the size of a pea and sunk into the ring. He held it out to her.

Amelia felt like there was a big decision ahead of her. To try and keep as safe as possible and hide away from Akkedis, or stand up to the bastard. Neither of which was particularly enticing.

But Amelia was never too good at keeping safe, so she took the ring and slipped it on her finger.

"So do I need to say a spell or something?" She asked.

Jeremy shook his head. "No, but it works better when it's warmer. So breathe on it or something occasionally to keep it heated." He lit another cigarette and puffed gently.

Amelia rolled her eyes. "Come on Jeremy! That's like the fourth cigarette you've smoked since I saw you!" She laughed as he blew a cloud in her face. "You're gross."

"It runs in the family!" He gestured to her. "Anyways it's getting late, we should go get dinner. I know Glapp was working all day for you're meal."

"Should I go down and see her? I don't want to interrupt her if she's busy...." Amelia trailed off.

Jeremy laughed and the sound resonated in her. It had the opposite effect from the Dementors, it filled you with happiness and hope. "You are probably the only person Glapp would be okay with getting interrupted by."

Amelia grinned, ran down to the kitchen and burst through the door. "Glapp!"

The house elf squealed and dropped the tea cup she'd been holding. "Little mistress! How happy Glapp is to see her!" She hugged Amelia tightly.

"Oh it's great to see you too!" Her heart filled with joy.

"Dinner is ready so little mistress should go into the dining room with master Jeremy! They can eat it together." Her watery eyes crinkled in a smile and Amelia went up to the dining room.

Dinner was amazing as usual and it was wonderful hearing Jeremy's stories from work. He was a archeologist and he was currently in Greece trying to find evidence of some ancient tribe or something. At the end of the night, Amelia's sides hurt from laughing at his story with the badger and the library.

"I don't think I believe you!" She cried through chuckles.

"I would never lie!" Jeremy grinned. "Anyways, you should get to bed. It's late."

"Since when do I have a bed time?" She raised her eyebrows.

"Since you've yawned about twenty times in the past two minutes?" He smiled and Amelia shot him a playful glare.

"Fine!" She laughed and climbed the wooden stairs up to her room. When she got to the top, Amelia stuck her head over the railing and saw Jeremy lighting up another cigarette and pulling out a small book from nowhere. "Goodnight!" She called.

He looked up at her with a vaguely amused face. "Goodnight Amelia! Just a warning about that crystal, tonight's going to be the first night you use it, so be prepared for things to be - to be a bit different. This first nights going to be the hardest."

Amelia laughed, the sound ricocheting around the empty house. "Have some faith in me Jeremy!"

"I have the utmost faith in you, my dear." He smiled and took a long drag of purple smoke.