Part Twenty Five

A/n this next chapter is dedicated to Englandflowers for being so kind and awesome! Really appreciate you! Much love!

Professor McGonagall was not a women who allowed for screwing around in her classroom. So when Seamus got caught throwing bits of paper at Terry Boot, he was promptly kicked out of class.

"Anyone else who wishes to disturb my teaching may leave now," McGonagall looked sternly around at the room, which had fallen eerily still. "Take out your notebooks." Everyone shuffled around as the professor began writing on the chalk board.

Avifors

Incantation: Avifors (AH-vi-fors)
Hand movement: sideways figure eight
Effect: turns target into a) bird b) flock of birds c)flock of bats
Etymology: from Latin 'Avis' meaning bird, with a fors suffix, meaning luck or fortune. (Indicating more complex spell)

Professor McGonagall continued lecturing them about how it was very important not to confuse this with Avis which was a spell for turning something into a bird. On the desk in front of her, she could see Oliver's notes which mostly consisted of what looked like an intricate plan in case of a fire. She leaned forward and whispered, "What's that?"

Oliver raised his eyebrows. "You're telling me you don't have a plan for when the inevitable case of when we all turn into birds?"

"I think we're supposed to be turning like, stones into birds or something." she tried not to giggle.

"Okay. Maybe you should really start paying attention because that is not what is happening." he couldn't even finish his sentence without laughing.

"You are ridiculous." she laughed, she could feel her cheeks turning red.

"I am-"

Dean, who was sitting beside Amelia, leaned in to talk to her, "I heard there was one guy who nearly failed because he could only make eggs, not birds!" He snickered, she turned away from Oliver.

"At least he will never be hungry! That could actually be really useful, you always have a good supply of food!" She laughed, delicately so not to be heard by their teacher.

"Too bad you fail first year transfiguration," Dean replied but Amelia just shrugged.

"You can't have it all right?" Dean agreed to that and then they were allowed to practice waving their wands and saying the incantation. Amelia was excited for this spell, since birds were beings of nature and she was really good with anything natural, it would be a breeze. They weren't supposed to actually cast a spell, that would be on Thursday. When asked why McGonagall replied,

"Use your head! Can you imagine twenty flocks of birds in one classroom? No we will be going outside for this," everyone got strangely excited at the idea of being outside. It was like a field trip or something! "Now I must speak to you about final exams," the room fell deadly silent, "they are coming up in June, so that give us exactly two months to prepare! So start studying everything we have done. There will be tutoring available in the library, sign up with Madame Pince. Easter break is also approaching and if you wish to go home, come see me for a form. That is all! Class dismissed!"

Everyone hurried out and started discussing whether or not they were going home.

"I know I'm not," Amelia said, "we are going to get so much extra work! And we have exams! There's not a chance I can get anything done if I go home," everyone around her seemed to agree, although moments before she had heard Lavender talking about how excited she was to see her dog. Amelia found it both flattering and awkward that people agreed with her so much, she didn't really know where that came from but it was sweet nonetheless.

"How bout you Neville? Going home?" Neville shook his head violently.

"No way! I've got to sign up for tutoring in the library right now!" He looked very sad.

"I could tutor you?" Amelia offered. She didn't want some stuck up fourth year helping him and making him feel stupid.

"Would you?" Neville looked like he was about to pass out, Amelia laughed and put her arm around him.

"Of course!" They walked down to lunch and talked about how wonderful aconite was. They were both great at Herbology and loved discussing it because no one else seemed interested. Lunch that day was grilled cheese sandwiches with cheesy broccoli and salad. There were large brownies for dessert as well, and Amelia took about three and shoved them in her pocket for later. Lavender saw and commented about how gross that was but Dean and Seamus thought it was a wonderful idea, and followed suit.

Draco Malfoy walked by with his ugly friends and made a rude gesture at Ron.

"Hey there Merlin," his voice dripped with patronization. "Want to chat?"

"Yeah or I could set myself on fire and get the same result." She said cheerily. But Malfoy ignored her.

"Going home for the holidays? Going to visit dear old dad? Oh wait, you imprisoned him," the boys around the table stood up, ready to punch the little git.

"Leave her alone," Dean growled.

"Are these your pet dogs merlin?" He laughed.

"Coming from you Malfoy, you won't go anywhere without those imbeciles you call friends," Amelia gestured to Crabbe and Goyle.

"Why don't you just go?" Harry looked like he had just smelled something terrible, as he stared down the Slytherin boys.

"Your right Potter, I think my work here is done," Malfoy turned on his heel and strode back to his table.

"I hate that boy," Parvati growled as they all sat down. "He could get trampled by centaurs and I wouldn't even blink."

"Geez Parvati! Didn't know you could be so scary!" Seamus complimented.

"Well when he starts talking shit to my friend, oh he's lucky I didn't hit him." Amelia felt a rush of affection for her friend. Even though she could be ridiculous at times, she was loyal and a really good friend. So Amelia hugged her tightly and they continued eating.

They walked down to the lake, because they had a free period, and got started on their charms homework. Seamus was already complaining and Hermione shushed him.

"I'll let you copy me if you just shut up!" She said hitting him with her text book. Everyone laughed and Seamus looked a little pleased.

"Oh god," Lavender groaned.

"What is it?" Amelia asked without looking up.

"Malfoy," Ron seethed. Amelia took a deep breath and tried to remind herself that Draco wasn't actually that bad. He could be nice and funny and he only said these things because he was so insecure. And she should just ignore him.

But if this boy wanted a fight, she could damn well give him one.