Part Seventy Four: A great black dog

"I think we need to do something to cheer Harry up." Amelia plopped down beside Fred and George in the common room. They shared a look with each other before turning to her.

"We've been thinking the same thing." Said George.

"Which means you've already come up with something." She stated.

"Yeah," Fred sighed heavily. "But it's gonna be hard!"

"Well maybe I can help!"

"Oh Amy, sweet precious Amelia. I wish you could." He shook his head. "But it's a matter of the heart."

Amelia didn't know if she should laugh or not. "Can you just tell me what it is?"

"We're going to give Harry the map." George cringed.

"The map? The one that had saved your ass more than ever before? The one we use for all our adventures?" Amelia was shocked. This was a big thing for the twins to do.

"Harry needs it. It would cheer the lad up and lord knows he would make good use of it. He's always getting into shit. Maybe now he can do it without getting caught!" Fred stood up heavily. "Come on George, we got work to do."

"Can I come?" Amelia asked eagerly but George shook his head.

"This is something we have to do ourselves." He said gravely and she couldn't help the laugh that burst from her lips. They both glared at her and walked out of the common room.

Those boys were so ridiculous sometimes but Amelia never stopped loving them. She went to go sit on the couch where her friends were gathered around. Neville and Seamus were facing off in a game of chess while Lavender causally flirted with Dean, so Amelia sat with Parvati.

"Hey there!" She said cheerily.

"How are you doing?" Parvati said trying to mask her concern.

"Why do you say it like that? I'm fine!" Amelia laughed gently.

"You had another nightmare last night." She quietly said.

"I always get those." Amelia dismissed with a wave of her hand. "It's not unusual."

"This one was. You were chanting something-some sort of spell I think." Parvati insisted.

"It's just something I say to help me calm down! Don't worry about it!" She smiled and put a comforting hand on her friends arm.

"I am worried about it. I'm worried about you."

"Don't be! I'm fine!" Amelia said kindly but forcefully. And it seemed to work because Parvati dropped the subject. After a while Amelia left to go for a walk to clear her head. She skipped down to the grounds and started around the lake.

As she walked, Amelia held her hand over the water and the droplets started to dance along the glassy surface. They jumped and collided with each other. She formed them into tiny birds that twittered around her, brushing past her cheek or her arm.

But she was soon interrupted by a snapping twig behind her. The birds shattered and Amelia got soaking wet. She looked around to see a dark shadow in the trees.

"Hello?"

No reply. But a pair of eyes glowed out from the bushes. A great black dog emerged and gave a menacing growl.

Amelia raised her eyebrows at it and folded her arms. "Really?" She said. The beast dropped it's formidable stance and crouched down. She put a hand out and let him sniff her, then she stroked his matted fur.

"You're sweet aren't you?" She laughed. "I like dogs. You remind me of a friend I kinda have."

The dog looked up at her with sad eyes and lay it's head in her lap. She sat there for a while, stroking the dog and listening to the sounds around her.

"Want to see something cool?" Amelia said suddenly. She got up and held out her palm. With a small twitch of her thumb, a butterfly with brilliant blue and red wings started to grow. It's magnificent wings spread and the insect flew off into the trees. "It's a little talent of mine." She confessed. "Wand less magic! Only really powerful wizards are supposed to be able to control it. Not to brag or anything but I sorta do it all the time!" She laughed.

The dog regarded her with a strange look. Almost wary. Amelia didn't think dogs were capable of that level of intelligence but maybe she was wrong.

"Did you like it?" She asked. "Because I can do much more! I've gotten really good at controlling it." She poked the ground with one finger and from it spread a silvery water that sank into the dirt. Seconds later tiny flowers with hundreds of small silvery leaves grew out of the earth. They twisted and spiralled up until they were a foot tall.

The black dog had almost no reaction.

"Alright I'll stop showing off." She laughed. "Clearly you're not enjoying it as much as me."

Amelia stood up and with a small bow said farewell to her companion. She bounced off towards the castle feeling lighter than usual. Whenever she was able to just release a bit of her magic without having to try and make it look like a real spell, she always felt so much better. Amelia practically danced her way along the grass towards the stony steps.

"Merlin!" A sneering voice called behind her. She groaned to see Draco Malfoy strutting towards where she stood.

"I've been having a good day Draco, what do you want from me?" She sighed.

"Just thought I'd say hello?" He was alone, thankfully.

"Then say it and we can move on."

"Well I didn't just want to say hello!" Draco snapped. "I wanted to ask you something."

"What is it?"

The blonde boy fidgeted nervously and twisted his hands together. "Well, I -I just thought- if it's not too weird or anything - because we do get along sometimes and it - it could be fun. I was - I was thinking that we - we could, I dunno-"

"Spit it out will you?" Amelia laughed gently.

"WillyougotoHogsmeadethisweekendwithme?" He blurted out.

She looked at him, completely taken aback. "No."

Amelia couldn't tell if he was serious or not. But when she thought about it, it didn't matter, she didn't want to go out with him. She already had a boyfriend for crying out loud and Draco Malfoy was the last person she could consider dating.

"Right! Of course! See you around Merlin!" He said with panic written all over his face. "Try not to fall down the stairs or do, whatever I don't give a fuck what you do!" With that he sprinted off down a corridor.

Stunned, Amelia walked slowly back to the common room, she went up to the dormitory where Lavender and Parvati were both sitting on her bed.

"What's up?" Lavender asked.

Amelia sunk down beside them and stared at the ceiling. "I think Draco Malfoy just tried to ask me out on a date."

Both Lavender and Parvati burst into giggles and after a second Amelia joined them.

"That's just so ridiculous!"

Wiping a tear from her face, Parvati said, "I do not understand boys at all. "

"I don't think I'll ever understand boys." Amelia agreed.

A/n so just thought I would let you beautiful people know that I submitted my grad quote for the yearbook (because we get quotes beside our school pictures in the yearbook for grad) and I did "I think we've outgrown full time education..." -Fred Weasley and then my best friends did "...time to test our talents in the real world, d'you reckon?" -Fred weasley.

HOW CUTE ARE WE?

Anyways hope y'all are having a lovely day!