Part 111: Sapana

Dear Amelia,

The Dellisandro's were delighted with the prospect of marrying Rose and Blaxton. The wedding will happen when you visit during the summer and everything is in place for you. I know Sir Schwann is desolate without you, he's so purposeless. I feel sort of bad for him.

Jeremy's here with me. He's been helping out a lot with the political side of things. Your brother has a certain way with people. His motivation to get you on that throne is almost maniacle. I suppose admirable is another word but he seems a bit deranged at times. To be totally honest with you, I'm worried about him. He's not looking well. He smokes more and more of those bloody cigarettes and he looks worse and worse for it. Maybe you can talk some sense in to him when you get back.

I've sent word to your mother. Told her you got on a political team that is going to travel around the world contacting different wizarding institutions. She loved the idea and told me to let you know she's happy for you.

I'm still in Stone Garden. We don't leave for the East Coast for another week. I'm half sick of black stones, black houses, black roads, black horses , everything is fucking black. The people here are too stiff for my taste. I think the east will suit me much more.

Hope you're doing well. I heard about the tournament. It sounds incredible, we're all praying for your friends to do well. Jeremy says he'll stop by for the final task, then you guys can leave together.

Moira sends her best wishes, and hopes to see you soon. As do I.

-Al

Amelia read the letter a hundred times before folding it up and shoving it in her pocket.

Classes had been rigorous lately and she was stumbling to keep up. Fred told her not to worry about any of it. But she didn't listen to him. Countless nights were spent in the common room or library, reading and writing until her eyes burned. She day dreamed of Transfiguration and Herbology. Defence Against the Dark Arts clouded her vision and made it impossible to think of anything. Except when Ancient Studies penetrated her thoughts and then it was useless trying to accomplish something.

Her studies had extinguished everything else. Nobody had time for the luxury of hanging around and goofing off. They'd all become rather irritable as well. Seamus had snapped at her more than once and Dean became quite passive aggressive if anyone said anything about Charms.

Her dreams had been similar to the one she had with Oliver in Stone Garden. They always cut out right after she entered the golden field. Her golden field.

Days turned to weeks, and all she did was dream and study.

It was a relief when the third task came around. They were all exhausted from thinking and this was a welcome distraction. While everyone else made their way to the maze that had been created, Amelia went to go find Jeremy.  He said he would meet her just outside the Entrance Hall so that's where she waited. Her fingers drummed on her thigh and her toes tapped on the floor.

"Amelia!" Jeremy beamed and hugged her. Al had been right. He looked awful.

His eyes were sunken and there was a distinct hollowness about him. His hair was tangled and hung over his eyes. He was bony and thin. And Amelia wasn't sure about how yellow his skin looked either, it was like old parchment.

"How are you?"

"Wonderful! The north is amazing and I know Al told you about the wedding. You're going to love the Dellisandro's. They're incredibly kind-"

"You look like shit Jeremy."

"Aw come on-"

"I'm not kidding. You really do look terrible. What's wrong?"

"It's nothing." He said. "Oh don't look at me like that! I can handle myself."

She raised her eyebrows. "Really?"

"Trust me. I'm fine!"

"Okay. I don't believe you. But I trust you-"

"Jeremy?" A musical voice said from behind them. They turned to look at the gracefully poised woman. Her dark hair was tied back in a long braid.

Sapana.

"What are you doing here?" Jeremy's voice was a cocktail of panic and anger.

She smiled. "How have you been? It's been so long since we saw you last. Didn't forget about us did you?"

His eyes darted to the ground and Amelia looked fiercely between the two of them. "I didn't forget. You know that. I paid my end of the deal."

"And we paid ours. You're not looking to well. We can help-"

"Goodbye Sapana." Jeremy grabbed Amelia's arm and dragged her from the hall.

"Wait!" She tore her arm from his once they were outside. "What was she talking about?"

"It's nothing-"

"Don't you dare lie to me." Her voice was dangerously low.

"Amelia-" his eyes brimmed with pain as he begged for her to drop the topic.

"Tell me."

"I can't."

"Why not?" She accused.

"You wouldn't understand. There's no way I can explain."

"Try."

"I'll explain for you." Sapana appeared behind her. Amelia turned on her heel to face the woman.

"Stay out of this." She warned.

"I think you're going to want to hear what I have to say."

"I highly doubt that."

"Don't talk about things you don't understand." Amelia hated the patronizing tone Sapana took.

"Leave me alone."

"I'm afraid I can't do that."

"Look, I don't care what happened between you and my brother and if you don't leave right now, I'm going to-"

"Rip my eye out?"

Amelia stood in stunned silence. How did she know about what happened to Akkedis' messenger?

As if she'd read Amelia's mind, Sapana spoke, "I know everything, Amelia. So now you're coming with me."

Before she could react, Sapana had grabbed her arm at the same time Jeremy mirrored her. With a twisting motion the three of them hurtled into space. It took a while for Amelia to regain her balance and figure out her surroundings.

She was standing in a graveyard.