Part Fifteen: Draco Malfoy and the Forest

"How's your dad doing Merlin?" The horrible voice of Draco Malfoy hissed from behind Amelia. She was sitting in the library with Oliver, Dean, Seamus and Lavender. Malfoy hadn't stopped pestering them for the past hour and Amelia was getting frustrated.

"Can you just shut up Malfoy? I didn't even say anything to you," she glared at him.

"I just can't help it. You're too easy. You're mum is a useless squib and I heard that brother of yours is total shit at magic. Your dad's the only decent one in the family," the smirk that spread across his face was disgusting.

"You're pathetic Malfoy," she laughed but there was no humour in her tone. She turned away from him and buried her head in her books. So Malfoy moved on from her and started pestering Oliver.

"If you want to see pathetic Merlin, look at the loser sitting next to you. Hufflepuff trying to get in with the Gryffindor kids? That's pathetic," he taunted, "He's so desperate it's sad really. I bet you would give anything to be like them wouldn't you Rivers? Brave, not weak and stupid. At least Merlin's as pure blooded as they get, unlike you, you filthy mud blood," Malfoy snickered along with his two meathead crones.

"That's it," Amelia whipped around, anger blazing in her eyes, she took her wand out from her pocket and pointed it threateningly at the stupid git across from her. "Shut your damn mouth. Oliver didn't do anything to you and neither did I. Keep your disgusting nose out of other peoples business or I swear to god I will mess you up,"

Malfoy burst out laughing and Amelia was so enraged she stood out if her chair and grabbed him by the collar. "What are you gonna do Merlin? Hit me? Curse me?" He breathed in her face.

"Just leave me friends alone," she said letting go of him.

"Afraid I can't do that," he said, still smirking.

"Well figure it out because you don't want to push me Draco," he shrugged and left the library, Crabbe and Goyle in tow.

"You didn't have to do that Amelia," Oliver broke the silence.

"I wasn't just going to sit there and let him talk to you like that. You don't deserve it,"

"I know and I appreciate you being so kind. But Malfoy's just not worth it," the others around the table agreed, but Amelia could hear the blood pulsing through her body. She was so riled up and these people trying to console her was nice but it wasn't helping.

"Thanks guys, I think I need some air," she gathered up her things and ran out to the grounds. She kept running until she was on the edge of the forest. Amelia took a deep breath and walked in. The trees responded to her immediately. It's like they felt her prescense. She could nearly hear them calling her name and reaching out to her. She felt so suddenly calm. Amelia came to a clearing where wild flowers were growing along the edges. She put her stuff down and sat in the grass. Amelia felt the life of the forest running through her. She loved the way the sunlight filtered through the leaves and the way the grass smelled. She loved small delicate flowers against the towers disguised as trees. She lay down and closed her eyes. Ridding herself of sight she was able to feel the earth much better.

She was interrupted when she heard footsteps behind her. Amelia whipped around to see the intruder. It was Oliver, he had followed her out here.

"Hi,"

"What are you doing here?" The words came out more harshly then she had intended.

"I wanted to make sure you were alright," he stuffed his hands into his robe pockets and kicked the ground at his feet, his dark curly hair fell into his eyes.

"I'm fine thanks," Amelia didn't know why she was being so irritable. She turned her back to him, hoping he would leave. But unfortunately she heard him sit down beside her.

"Malfoy's an idiot, Amelia,"

"I know that,"

They sat in silence, and although Amelia had wanted to be alone, she appreciated Oliver's presence.

"Oliver?"

"Yeah?" He looked up at her but Amelia kept her eyes trained on the ground.

"Why did you come out here? The forest is forbidden,"

"Well, you were out here, and you were sad. And when someone is sad they need a friend," he paused and looked intently at her before continuing. "And nothing in this forest scares me more than the thought of you being sad,"

"That's very kind of you," her voice came out breathless, and she reached over and grabbed Oliver's hand.

"So!" She broke the silence that had spread between them, "I don't really know that much about you, tell me everything,"

Oliver raised his eyebrows, "everything?"

"Yeup!" She said poking his nose gently.

"Alright, well I was born in Venice but I moved to Doncaster when I was five. I love muggle music. Probably because I'm muggle born. I hate bananas, they just smell so gross. What else..... I love raspberries, chocolate pudding, any type of bread or cheese. And I'm a sucker for a good romance story," he laughed and they stayed in the forest for hours talking about themselves and discovering each other.

Amelia found that Oliver could make her laugh almost as easily as the Weasley twins. Which was no small feat. There was some warm, human magic about him that drew Amelia in. She was fascinated by the way he talked, it was so confident and humble at the same time.

She decided that Oliver Rivers was worth getting to know. He had the sort of face that became more beautiful the more you got to know him, and that's the best kind.