Part Sixty One: The golden field

A/N holy toots guys!!! This book now has over 5000 reads and nearly 700 votes! I'm so happy and grateful to all you beautiful people who are still reading this and enjoying it! Don't forget to comment letting me know what you think!

Amelia and her friends sat around the wonderfully decorated table and gorged themselves on the meal Glapp had prepared.

"You know, Amelia, you should have us here more often!" Dean said through a mouthful of chicken.

"You're not dignified enough." She shrugged and Dean laughed.

"That's fair!" He said.

"How old is this house?" Hermione was observing the antique silverware.

"Dunno," Amelia thought for a second. "I think it was built during the Italian Renaissance and then owners have kept adding on to it for years. It's done in mostly a French Parisian style."

"How long has your family lived here?"

Amelia tried not to laugh, it was so typical of Hermione to be asking questions like this. "I think we bought it a hundred years ago from a duke of something."

"Do you know which duke?" She leaned in eagerly.

"No, sorry." Amelia smiled kindly. "I can show you guys around but it's not very interesting. The grounds are much better."

"Grounds? Like at Hogwarts? You're so fancy, you have grounds?" Harry chuckled incredulously.

"Well it's just the front and back gardens!" She teased. "And of course the back field!"

"How far is the Burrow from here?"
Said Harry.

"It's a two minute run, like full out sprint, across the field. As long as the field hasn't flooded."

"Well I can't eat another bite, could we go out and look around the gardens? I haven't seen any of it and I've been here for five days!" Lavender stood out
of her seat.

"Sure!" Amelia joined her. "Come on guys."

The group left the grand Merlin mansion and went out the front doors. Amelia showed them around the front garden, past the marble fountains and the rose bushes. The girls were in awe of the whole place but the boys were just shoving each other around. They got to the back garden which was lush with plants of every variety and the small pond her mother had installed during the year.

"I wish I lived here." Lavender stretched out her arms and looked up to the sky.

"Me too." Seamus echoed.

Amelia spoke up. "Do you guys want to see one of my favourite places?"

"Do we have a choice?" Oliver laughed and she shook her head at him. "Well then, lead the way!"

Amelia opened the back gate of the garden into the field. The long grass swayed in a slight summer breeze. In her mind, she called it the golden field but Amelia decided not to mention that to anyone because it was a bit childish.

"This is your favourite?" Dean looked confused. "Out of all the awesome rooms in the house and the secret passageways and the sick gardens? This is your favourite?"

Amelia looked more confused than Dean. "Of course! Look at it! This place is awesome! So much better than the stupid house."

They walked through the field, the boys flirted with the girls and their laughter got lost in the wind. Seamus and Neville were playfully shoving each other while Harry and Hermione talked in deep conversation away from the group. Amelia really enjoyed the two of them, but they did keep to themselves quite a bit.

Oliver fell in step beside her, her hair tickled his face in the wind so she tucked it behind her ear. "I see why you like it here."

"Yeah?" She smiled.

"I mean the Parisian style rooms are lovely and all-" he said loftily and Amelia laughed. "But they're not you. You are so much more than those beautiful rooms. You, are this field and this summer breeze." He laughed joyfully, ran his fingers through his hair and Amelia couldn't help but appreciate him.

"I call it the golden field."

Oliver threw back his head in laughter. "Oh, of course you do Amelia!"

"What?" She laughed incredulously. "Are you making fun of me?"

"No!" He slung an arm around her. "I just think it suits you. The golden field!"

"Well, thanks I guess." She said awkwardly.

"I'm sorry Cedric didn't come." In the distance Dean was carrying Parvati around on his back and Neville's guffaws from Seamus' joking could be heard clearly across the field.

"You know," said Amelia truthfully. "I hadn't given it any thought at all. I kinda forgot he was supposed to come."

"Sometimes I forget your dating him."

"If I'm being honest, I do too sometimes." She laughed.

"Then why are you?" Oliver's eyebrows disappeared behind his curly hair.

Amelia shrugged. "I like him. And he's really sweet and kind and I completely forget about everything that sucks when I'm hanging out with him."

"Well I guess as long as it's a happy thing in your life." Oliver gave her a little squeeze with his arm and Amelia let her head fall on his shoulder.

The group of young teenagers ran through the grass, tackling each other every now and then or falling over from laughter. By the time they came back to the house it was dark out and everyone had to go home (except Lavender and Parvati of course, who were staying for a few more days). Everyone embraced while saying their goodbyes and Oliver gave her a quick peck on the cheek before he left.

"That was such a good time." Parvati flopped down on the bed and Lavender started taking the pins out if her hair.

"Amelia?" She asked.

"Mmhm?"

"Could you go down to the dining room and grab my coat? I left it there." She said with an air of forced innocence. Amelia laughed and rolled her eyes.

"Sure." She still hadn't taken off her blue dress but her hair had nearly lost all it's curl. Amelia's stomach growled lightly and she finally arrived at the dining room.

She pushed open the door and gasped at the sight before her. It was unbelievable.

Cedric was there, in a black blazer and tie with a bouquet of sweet peas. His adorable crooked smile spread across his face and Amelia laughed out loud.

"Oh my god." She pressed a hand to her cheek for the blush that had filled them.

"And you - are - beautiful." He leaned in and kissed her. "Happy birthday Amelia Merlin."

"I can't believe you're here!" His arm slipped around her waist.

"Lavender and Parvati thought it would be a surprise and I have to agree." Amelia felt her heart fluttering. "Would you like to sit?"

He offered her a chair and pulled it out for her. "So chivalrous!" Amelia laughed.

"Anything for you." Her heart nearly leapt out of her chest and Amelia remembered exactly why she was dating Cedric.

A/N sorry these chapters are taking a bit longer than usual. I'm suffering from a bit of writers block and finding it harder to publish everyday. Please comment so I know if you're still enjoying it or if you would like anything interesting to happen, it would really help me!