SA Legend Makes Explosive Statement Says, 'Cricket Is Being Dominated By'

Dr. Ali Bacher was instrumental in exposing BCCI to the whole new world of commercialization of the game's broadcast, but the former Cricket South Africa president doesn't like only three boards "marginalising" others in order to enjoy complete hegemony. It is no secret that India, Australia, and England cricket boards decide the cricket calendar, and Bacher, who brought Proteas cricket to mainstream, post-apartheid, isn't amused at all.

During an exclusive interview while watching the India and South Africa opening Test, Bacher said, "When I was the chairman of the ICC's development committee, my objective was to spread the game. It's not happening today. Cricket today is dominated by India, Australia, and England. South Africa has been marginalised, Pakistan has been marginalised, and the West Indies have been marginalised. That's not good," Bacher, now 81, told PTI. "You need to grow the game. The problem is that the finance of world cricket is dominated by India, and 70 percent of world cricket money comes through India from whatever direction. I would like to see the development of smaller nations; that was my profound passion."

The ICC is aiming to promote cricket in the United States, and the first few steps include awarding co-hosting rights for next year's T20 World Cup and also including cricket in the Los Angeles Olympics in 2028 as a part of one of the games inducted by the Local Organising Committ