Blunt Take of Rohit Sharma on the Future of Test Cricket

The captain of the Indian cricket team, Rohit Sharma, feels that it is each and every ICC member's duty to protect the sanctity of Test cricket as it remains the ultimate format. Cricket South Africa selected seven uncapped players, including inexperienced first-timer Neil Brand, for the upcoming tour of New Zealand to accommodate top stars for the cash-rich SA20, which coincides with the Test series. All the SA20 franchises are owned by IPL team owners, and the move to prioritise franchise cricket has earned widespread criticism. When asked about the CSA move, Rohit said, "For me, tests remain the ultimate challenge, and we would like to see the best players playing in that format, but everyone has their own problems to deal with, so make sure there is a reason behind it."

But he was clear that he always wants top players to play in tests.

He also said, "I don't know what the reason is (for SA not picking senior players), and in Test cricket, you want to see the best players being available, but like I said, I don't know what internal discussions are in CSA, but from my perspective, the priority should be given to Test cricket. It's a challenge that you face every day."