chapter three - style

"Baby, you showed me what living is for."
- Taylor Swift

The soft glow of the refrigerator illuminated the kitchen as I descended the stairs, my footsteps muffled by the late-night stillness. Clad in pajamas, I had headphones in, losing myself in the beats of the Hannah Montana movie soundtrack. Little did I know, the quiet kitchen wasn't as empty as I thought.

As I opened the fridge, the door casting a dim light, I jumped at the sudden presence behind me. Startled, I turned to find Jace, a smirk playing on his lips.

"What are you doing here at 2 am?" I asked, trying to hide the remnants of my surprise.

Jace chuckled, a mischievous glint in his eyes. "Sleeping arrangements got a bit crowded. Brax's snoring is unbearable."

I raise an eyebrow, slightly amused. "And what brings you to the kitchen?"

He gestured to the fridge. "Midnight snack cravings, of course."

I removed my headphones, still feeling the adrenaline from the unexpected scare. "You could've just said hello."

Jace grinned. "Where's the fun in that?"

Curiosity sparkled in his eyes as he noticed the Hannah Montana playlist. "What's your late-night soundtrack, Blondie?"

I blushed, confessing, "Hannah Montana. It's a guilty pleasure."

Jace chuckled. "That's cute."

His comment made my blush deepen, but before I could respond, he shifted the conversation. "You know how to dance?"

I nodded hesitantly. "A little bit."

Jace extended his hand. "Care to show me?"

I took his hand, feeling a sudden rush of warmth. He pulled me closer, our bodies now swaying to the rhythm of the music. The tension in the air became palpable as we danced in the moonlight streaming in from the window and the soft glow of the refrigerator.

The atmosphere intensified. I could feel the heat of Jace's body, the proximity sending shivers down my spine. He noticed and asked, "Getting cold?"

I shook my head, a shy smile playing on my lips. The kitchen transformed into our own private dance floor, the serenade of Taylor Swift echoing through the night. At that moment, we danced, our movements fluid and intimate, the moonlight and fridge light casting a romantic glow on a spontaneous dance beneath the silent spell of the late-night hours.

The last strains of Crazier by Taylor Swift echoed through the kitchen, leaving us in a lingering embrace. However, Jace showed no intention of letting go. We swayed gently, bodies close, the unspoken connection growing with each passing moment.

It felt like we danced for hours until the next song seamlessly began. As my stomach rumbled, Jace chuckled, breaking the serene silence. "Hungry?"

We separated, and laughter filled the air as we raided the fridge for a late-night snack. The quiet hum of the refrigerator filled the kitchen as we sat at the table, savoring our late-night snacks. I, curious, broke the silence.

"So, what do you do, Jace?" I asked, my eyes meeting his.

Jace leaned back, a casual smile on his face. "I own an IT company here in Hallows. Keeps me busy."