chapter twenty nine - favorite crime

"cause you know that i'd do it all again."
- olivia rodrigo

Jackson and I strolled hand in hand, exploring the wonders of the zoo. The sun beamed down, casting a warm glow over the vibrant exhibits. We approached the lion enclosure, and I couldn't help but be captivated by the majestic creatures.

Jackson smiled. "Lions are incredible, don't you think?"

I nodded. "Definitely. Their power and grace are mesmerizing."

As we moved on to the next exhibit, we shared laughs, discovering shared interests and curiosities. The day unfolded with the joy of newfound companionship.

Jackson pointed at the penguins. "Look, the penguins! Always a favorite."

"They're adorable! Let's get a closer look."

"Astoria, there's something I've been meaning to ask. I hope it's not too forward, but I've noticed you have a history with a guy named Jason. Is everything okay?" Jackson asked nervously

I took a deep breath. "Yeah, Jason and I have some history. We used to be close, but things changed. Now, we're just navigating life separately."

Jackson nodded. "I see. I don't want to pry, but if you ever need someone to talk to or if there's anything you want to share, I'm here."

"Thanks, Jackson. It means a lot. Jason and I have our own paths now, and I'm trying to move forward."

"I get it. We all have our pasts. What matters is the present and the future, right?" Jackson put a supportive hand on my shoulder.

"Exactly. Let's focus on the present and enjoy the moments we're creating together."

We continued their stroll through the zoo, both realizing that understanding each other's pasts was an important step in building something new.

We spent time watching the playful penguins waddle and swim, exchanging stories and marveling at the diversity of wildlife.

"This has been such a great day." I smiled at Jackson.

Jackson smiled back. "I'm glad you're enjoying it. Any favorite animal so far?"

"I'd say the elephants. They seem so wise and gentle." I said nodding.

"Wise choice. Want to grab some ice cream before we head out?"

"Definitely! Ice cream sounds perfect." I agreed

We made our way to the zoo's ice cream stand, enjoying sweet treats as we continued our conversation, making memories amid the lively atmosphere of the zoo.

"Astoria, I've been curious about something. Why did you move to Hallows?" Jackson asked me.

i hesitated. "It's a long story, Jackson. Maybe not something for casual conversation."

Jackson smiled. "Fair enough. I get it. We all have our reasons, right? I'll share a bit about mine then. I grew up in a small town not too different from here. Family stuff brought me to Hallows to start fresh, you know?"

"Family stuff?" I listened

"Yeah, my parents almost got a divorce, and it got messy. I needed a change, a place to start anew. Hallows seemed like the perfect spot." He paused. "Sometimes, a change of scenery can do wonders."