chapter ten - tornado warnings

"i wish i kept some of my feelings in basement so i'd still have some left."
- sabrina carpenter

Amaya arrived at my house, greeted by the delicious aroma of the dinner I had prepared. We exchanged warm greetings as I ushered her inside.

"Amaya, welcome! I hope you're hungry."

"Starving! Your place smells amazing." she said.

We sat down at the table, but to my surprise, Brax emerged from his room, accompanied by Jason, who looked unusually sharp in a suit.

I couldn't help but blurt out my candid thought. "Don't you have a house?"

Jason chuckled, Brax looked amused, and I realized my bluntness might have been a bit much.

"Hey, Amaya." Brax said
"Hey Brax." Amaya blushed

I looked at them, confused. The tension between the two of them was palpable.

We all sat down, and I tried to make sense of the odd dynamic between Amaya and Brax.

I asked Jason to help me in the kitchen, seizing the opportunity to get answers.

"What's going on with Brax and Amaya?" i questioned him.

Jason laughed. "They have a crush on each other."

I was taken aback but managed a smile. "Really? Amaya didn't tell me."

Jason looked regretful. "Maybe I shouldn't have spilled the beans. Don't tell Brax I told you."

I agreed, feeling a twinge of disappointment that Amaya hadn't confided in me. We carried the glasses back to the table, where Amaya and Brax were having a hushed discussion.

"What are you guys talking about?" i asked them as me and Jason sat down at the table.

Brax looked down shyly and Amaya blushed. I found their interaction endearing.

As we enjoyed the rest of the dinner, the room filled with laughter and light conversation. Afterward, I enlisted Jason's help in the kitchen once more.

- Third Person POV -

Amaya and Brax found themselves alone in the dining room after Astoria and Jason returned to the kitchen.

They exchanged awkward glances before Brax took a deep breath, attempting to break the silence. "You, uh, you look really pretty today, Amaya."

Amaya raised an eyebrow playfully. "Oh, just today? Don't I look pretty every day?"

Brax's eyes widened, fear evident in his expression as he stumbled over his words. "No, no, of course, you do! I just meant..."

Amaya burst into laughter, putting him at ease. "Relax, Brax. I'm just messing with you."

Brax let out a relieved chuckle, grateful for Amaya's playful nature.

"So, what's going on in that head of yours, Winters?" Amaya wondered.

Brax smiled at the nickname she had for him. "Just thinking about work and... other things."