chapter twenty two - you belong with me

"been here all along, so why cant you see?"
- taylor swift

The next day, as I was sorting through a pile of returned books, the guy from yesterday returned to the library. He approaches me with a confident smile.

"Hi again. I couldn't stay away." He winks at me, making me laugh.

"Persistent, I see. What can I help you with today?" i said smirking.

"Well, how about we grab a cup of coffee sometime? You know, outside the world of books." He asks me.

"Thank you, but I'm really not interested in dating right now." i politely decline.

He nods but looks determined. "No problem. But I'll be back, you know? I'm not giving up that easily."

I laugh. "You're quite the optimist. We'll see about that."

"Trust me, you'll say yes eventually. Until then, enjoy your books." he takes a hold of my hand and presses a feather light kiss to my knuckles.

As he walks away, i couldn't help but chuckle at his determination. Little does he know, my heart is already reserved for someone else, and no amount of persistence from him is going to change that.

My day at the library took an unexpected turn when Melanie walked in, curious about my recent encounters.

"How's your day been, Tory?" Melanie asked, her eyes gleaming with curiosity.

I sighed, "Same old... Well, except for the persistent guy who keeps insisting on a date."

Melanie smirked, "Why not give it a shot? You might be surprised."

I hesitated, "I can't, Mel. It's complicated."

Just then, the library door swung open, revealing a blonde girl and a brunette boy who entered cautiously. They glanced around, clearly searching for someone. I approached them with a warm smile.

"Hello, how can I help you?" Astoria asked.

The blonde girl, and the brunette boy, exchanged a nervous look before introducing themselves. "We're looking for Astoria," the boy said.

I raised an eyebrow, "That's me. How can I assist you?"

"I'm Tiana" the girl pointed at herself "and this is Liam" she pointed at the boy.

They seemed hesitant as the girl continued, "Our father was a married man when he met our mother. He abandoned us, and when our mother found out he was married, she tried to contact his family. But she found nothing except that he was married."

Mel and I exchanged shocked glances. The girl and boy dropped the bombshell, "Our father is Valentino Woods."

I stared at Tiana and Liam, a mix of disbelief and realization settling over me. I invited them to sit at a table, needing to hear more of their story.

"So, you're saying Valentino Woods is your father?" I questioned, trying to wrap my head around the revelation.

Tiana nodded solemnly, "Yes. Our mother tried to contact his family when she found out she was pregnant with twins, but it led to nothing. We've been searching for answers ever since."

Liam added, "We only recently discovered that he had a family, and we hoped that maybe someone here would recognize us or know about him."

Melanie, sensing the gravity of the situation, joined the conversation. "Do you know anything about Valentino's family?" she asked, her expression serious.

Tiana and Liam exchanged another glance before Liam responded, "Not much. We know he has a wife and two children, but our mother's attempts to contact them were futile."

I felt a surge of emotions, a mix of anger, confusion, and sympathy. "You're saying you're our half-siblings?" I asked, my voice almost a whisper.

Tiana and Liam nodded, "Yes, we believe we are."

Melanie chimed in, "This is a lot to process. We need some time to figure out what to do next."

As the weight of the revelation hung in the air, the four of us grappled with the newfound connection, uncertain about the impact it would have on our lives.

Mel and I were left speechless, grappling with the realization that the complicated tale unfolding before us was a revelation about our own family.

Mel and I walked into the house, our faces somber and expressions heavy. Our mother, sensing something was amiss, turned from the stove where she was preparing dinner.

"Hey, how was your day?" she greeted us, a warm smile on her face.

Our serious expressions didn't go unnoticed, and she frowned, concern flickering in her eyes. "What happened? Is everything okay?"

I took a deep breath, exchanging a glance with Melanie. "We had an unexpected encounter at the library. Two people showed up, claiming to be our half-siblings."

Our mother's eyes widened, a mixture of shock and realization crossing her face. She turned off the stove and motioned for us to sit at the kitchen table. "Tell me everything," she said, her tone serious.

As we recounted the meeting with Tiana and Liam, our mother listened in silence. When we finished, there was a prolonged moment of quiet.

Our mother sighed, her gaze fixed on something distant. "I suspected your father was having an affair. I didn't think he was foolish enough to father children outside our marriage."

Mel and I exchanged glances, absorbing the weight of her words.

After a moment, our mother spoke again, "This is a lot to process. We'll take it one step at a time. You need to decide how you want to handle this. It's your choice whether you want to establish a relationship with them or not."

Our mother looked at us with a mixture of empathy and understanding. "Listen, my loves, life has a way of throwing unexpected challenges at us. You two have just discovered that you have half-siblings, and that's a lot to take in. The first thing to remember is that you have control over how you want to navigate this situation."

She took a deep breath before continuing, "You need to consider your feelings. If you're open to building a relationship with Tiana and Liam, take it slowly. Get to know them without feeling pressured to make them an immediate part of your life. Trust needs to be earned, and they should understand that."

Our mother paused, her eyes full of maternal concern. "On the other hand, if you're not ready or willing to establish that connection, that's perfectly okay too. You have your own lives, and you should prioritize your emotional well-being. Don't let anyone force you into something you're not comfortable with."

She leaned forward, placing a comforting hand on each of our shoulders. "Remember, communication is key. Talk openly with Tiana and Liam about your thoughts and feelings. And no matter what you decide, lean on each other for support. Family is there to help you through the tough times."

Our mother smiled, trying to infuse some reassurance into the heavy atmosphere. "You're not alone in this. We'll face whatever comes our way as a family, just like we always have."