chapter twenty six - honey, honey / last kiss

"i feel like i wanna sing, when you do your thing."
- ABBA

I sat on my bed, my room enveloped in a heavy silence. Thoughts of Jason's unexpected return echoed in my mind, casting shadows over the newfound connection i've been building with Jackson. A mix of emotions swirled within me - confusion, frustration, and a twinge of longing.

"Why now? After all this time, why did he have to come back?" I whispered to myself.

I couldn't deny the impact of Jason's reappearance, a disruptive force threatening the delicate equilibrium i'd established in his absence. The memories of our past and the unspoken feelings lingered, complicating the newfound closeness with Jackson.

I sighed. "Just when I was starting to move on."

As I traced absent patterns on my bedspread, I contemplated the unfairness of the situation. Jackson had been a breath of fresh air, a chance for a different kind of happiness, and now Jason's return had thrown it all into disarray.

I thought for a moment before whispering, "I can't let the past dictate my present. Jackson deserves a fair chance."

Determined, I made a silent promise to myself - to confront the complexities, untangle the emotions, and forge ahead. The room held a mix of nostalgia and anticipation, a battleground of emotions that I would navigate in my pursuit of a future unburdened by the ghosts of the past.

Melanie cautiously pushed the door to my room open, her eyes scanning the space for any signs of distress. I sat on my bed, a storm of conflicted emotions playing on my face.

"Astoria, I saw Jason's car outside. Is he back?" Mel asked softly

I looked up, meeting Melanie's concerned gaze. I sighed, a mixture of weariness and uncertainty evident in my eyes.

"Yeah, he's back. Just showed up out of the blue." I scoff and roll my eyes.

Melanie approached me, taking a seat beside me, sensing the weight of the situation.

"How are you feeling about it?" Mel asked me

I hesitated. "Confused, mostly. It's like... I was just starting to figure things out."

Melanie reached out, offering a comforting touch on my shoulder.

"Astoria, listen. You've come so far, and your happiness matters. If Jason's return is stirring up old feelings, remember that it's okay to prioritize your own well-being."

I nodded. "I know, Mel, but it's complicated. There's Jackson, and I don't want things to get messy."

"You've got to do what's right for you. Maybe talking to Jason and figuring out where things stand is a good first step. And don't forget, Jackson seems like a great guy who respects you."

I sighed, feeling a mix of gratitude for Melanie's understanding and a determination to navigate the complexities ahead.

"You always know what to say, Mel. Thanks." I gave her a genuine smile.

Melanie smiled, a reassuring warmth in her gaze.

"Trust yourself, Astoria. You've got this."