chapter thirteen - everything has changed

"your eyes look like coming home."
- taylor swift & ed sheeran

The intimate atmosphere lingered in the air as Jason and I washed the dishes together. Our hands moved in unison, the soapy water providing a delicate background noise.

As I was drying a plate, Jason moved closer, his presence becoming more palpable. He gently caged me against the kitchen counter, his gaze intense as he looked into my eyes. My heart quickened, and I met his gaze with anticipation.

Jason's voice was a whisper, laden with desire. "I'm going to kiss you now."

I, caught in the moment, nodded. Jason leaned in, our lips meeting in a slow, passionate dance. I wrapped my arms around his neck, and Jason's hands found their place on my waist. The kiss deepened, emotions intertwining.

Lifting me effortlessly, Jason placed me on the counter, our lips still locked in a heated embrace. The world seemed to disappear as we shared this intimate connection.

However, with a slow pull away, Jason broke the kiss, our foreheads resting against each other. "We should stop before things get out of hand."

I, breathless and wanting more, reluctantly agreed, nodding my head. Jace helped me off the counter, and we continued washing the dishes, the silent understanding between us weaving an unspoken promise of what might come.

The gentle hum of the car engine accompanied the comfortable silence between Jason and I as he drove me home. When we reached my house, Jason pressed a tender kiss to my temple, and our usual goodnight exchange echoed in the quiet night.

"Goodnight, Blondie."

"Night, Buzz."

Inside my house, I found Theo in the living room, absorbed in a TV show. I settled next to him, and he turned to me, asking about my dinner with Jason.

"So, how was dinner with Jason?" He asked

"It was good, you know. We had a nice time." I couldn't keep the smile off my face.

"Just a nice time?" Theo said, smirking.

"Okay, it was more than nice. But, Theo, I can't help but worry about what's going to happen."

Theo placed a reassuring hand on my shoulder. "Hey, whatever happens, we'll face it together. You're not alone, Tory."

"I know, but everything feels so uncertain. What if things don't work out?" I sighed

"Life is unpredictable, Tory. We can't control everything. But what you can control is how you face it. Don't let fear of the unknown dictate your actions." Theo said

"You always know what to say." I smiled at Theo.

"Dad perks. Seriously though, you're stronger than you think. And don't forget, I'll always have your back." Theo said shrugging

"Thanks, Theo. I appreciate it." I said and hugged him tightly

"Anytime, sweetheart. Now, get some rest. Tomorrow is a new day, full of possibilities." Theo said, patting my back.

I nodded, grateful for my dad's comforting words. I went to bed with a bit more ease, knowing I had Theo's unwavering support.

Melanie burst into my room the next morning. "Tori! How could you not tell me you were going for dinner at JASON'S house?!?"

"Oh, morning to you too. It slipped my mind." I said, sleepy-eyed and still half asleep.

"Slipped your mind? Tori, this is a big deal! Spill the details. What happened?" She pushed.

"Well, he made dinner, and we ate it," I said, smirking

"Wow, thanks for the play-by-play. What did you guys talk about?" She said sarcastically.

"Life, I guess. Nothing too exciting," I said, blushing.

Mel raised her eyebrows. "Nothing too exciting? You have dinner at the guy's house, and you're giving me vague details? Seriously, Tory?"

I rolled my eyes. "Okay, fine. We talked about our families, and he kissed me after washing the dishes."

Melanie gasped. "He kissed you?! Spill all the juicy details!"

"Maybe some other time. What's the rush today?" I said, smiling

"We're going to visit Brax at work. He mentioned he's free for lunch, and I thought it'd be fun."

"Sure, why not? I could use some distractions today." I said nodding.

Melanie and I arrived at Brax's workplace, a sleek and modern office building that gleamed under the sunlight. The glass exterior reflected the city skyline, creating an urban backdrop for their impromptu visit.

As we entered the spacious lobby, the subtle hum of activity surrounded us - a symphony of ringing phones, tapping keyboards, and the occasional laughter of colleagues.

Navigating through the busy workspace, we exchanged smiles and nods with colleagues who recognized Brax's vivacious sisters.

"This is Brax's workplace? Let's find him!" Mel said excitedly.

"Yeah, it should be interesting," I said nodding

As we walked down a hallway we ran into Jason, decked out in a suit.

"Well, well, look who's here." He said smiling at us

Melanie smirked. "Jason! What a coincidence."

"Is it? Or did you two lovely ladies plan to brighten up my workday?" Jason grinned

"Please, we just wanted to see Brax," I said rolling my eyes.

Jason placed a hand over his heart. "You wound me Blondie."

We spot Brax across the hallway and Mel calls out for him. "Brax!"

Brax turns towards us. "Mel! Astoria! What brings you here?"

"Just checking in on our favorite IT guy. And apparently, Jason's here too." Mel points at Jason.

"Just doing some boss things." Jason grinned.

"Boss things, huh? Is that what they call stalking your employees?" I said smirking

"More like strategic supervision. What brings you here, other than mocking me?" Jason tugs on a piece of my hair, making my heart race.

"We're just spreading joy and love wherever we go." Mel bows at Jason.

"Well, if it isn't my two favorite ladies. And Jason, I guess." Brax smirks at us

Jason rolls his eyes. "I feel the love."

"Lunch break, anyone?" I suggested

Brax nods. "I'm in. Jason?"

"Boss things can wait. I'm in too." Jason grins

The four of us head out for an unexpected lunch, bringing a touch of spontaneity to our day.