chapter four - babe

"how could you do this, babe?"
- taylor swift

The bustling mall was a sea of shoppers, and Mel and I navigated through racks of clothes, bags in hand, the chatter of sales and laughter surrounding us.

As we sifted through the clothing racks, I couldn't stop thinking about Jace and I could tell Mel noticed. She glanced at me and asked, "So, what's going on with you and Jason?"

I sighed, my gaze flickering for a moment. "Nothing, Mel. We're just friends."

Melanie raised an eyebrow. "Just friends? You spend a lot of time together for just being friends."

I tried remaining evasive. "We're not a couple, Mel. Let it go."

A moment of silence passed before Melanie shifted the conversation. "Do you ever think about Dad?"

My eyes hardened. "Never."

Melanie looked down, a hint of sadness in her eyes. "I do sometimes. I miss him, you know?"

I couldn't understand that. "After what he did, he'll never have the privilege of entering my mind again."

Melanie sighed in defeat, and we continued shopping.

Inside the dressing room, the muffled chatter of the group of girls filled the air as they exchanged stories about the previous night's party.

"Did you guys see Jason at the party last night?"

"Yeah, he was there. Why?"

"He was being pretty friendly with me if you catch my drift."

The girl laughs. "Really? Jason? He's usually so mysterious."

"What happened?"

"We ended up kissing. I mean, I didn't expect it, but it happened."

"Wow, that's something. I never thought he'd make a move like that."

I froze as they discussed how he kissed one of them at a party the night before.

A mixture of surprise and confusion clouded my face. I retreated from the dressing room, finding my sister amidst the clothes racks.

"We need to leave," I insisted, my voice urgent.

Melanie, sensing something was wrong, followed me out of the store. Once outside, my mind raced with conflicting thoughts about Jason. Did I even know him at all? The revelation left me questioning the foundation of our friendship.

Maybe I was being dramatic. After all, we weren't a couple, and he had the freedom to do as he pleased. Still, a small part of me had hoped for something more, and the unexpected revelation shook me to the core.

As we walked away from the mall, I grappled with the complexities of my emotions, unsure of how to reconcile the image I had of Jason with the reality I had just overheard.

The front door clicked shut when I returned home, my shopping bags rustling in my hands. I ascended the staircase, anticipating the comfort of my room, but as I reached the top, a surprise awaited me.

Jason emerged from Brax's room, a smile lighting up his face. "Hey, Blondie."

I managed a small smile in return. "Hi."

His usually confident demeanor wavered as he sensed my unease. "Is everything okay?"

I rolled her eyes, my voice edged with a touch of bitterness. "Like you care."

A puzzled expression clouded Jason's features. "Of course, I care. What's going on?"

"If you cared, you wouldn't have kissed that girl." I wanted to scream, but i didn't.

"I have things to do Jason."

Confusion and concern played across Jason's face. "Astoria, I-"

I cut him off, excusing myself before disappearing into my room, leaving Jason standing there, a sense of regret lingering in the air. The weight of unspoken words and unresolved emotions hung between us, turning a once-familiar atmosphere into an unexpected battleground.

Brax pushed open my door, his eyes scanning my face for any sign of what might be bothering me. He found me sitting on the bed, lost in my thoughts.

"Alright, Tory, spill it. What's going on?" he says with a teasing smile.

I look away. "Nothing, Brax. Just a rough day."

Brax raises an eyebrow. "Come on, you're a terrible liar. What's really going on?"

I tried to brush it off with a dismissive wave, but Brax was persistent.

"Fine, you leave me no choice. Prepare yourself for the comedic stylings of Brax."

He began to do an exaggerated dance, throwing in some ridiculous moves that he knew would make me crack a smile.

Brax was grinning like a cheshire cat. "You can't resist this charm, can you?"

My lips twitched, and then, unexpectedly, I burst into laughter. Brax's antics had their desired effect.

"You're ridiculous, you know that?" I pushed out through giggles.

Brax did a dramatic bow. "Ridiculously good-looking, you mean?"

Our laughter lingered for a moment before my mood shifted.

"Sometimes I hate that I react without thinking. It makes me feel like my father, and I hate that." I confess.

Brax placed a comforting hand on my shoulder, his tone gentle.

"You're nothing like your father. That's one thing I can promise you."

He pressed a tender kiss to my forehead and got up to leave, but not before leaving me with a heartfelt offer.

"Come to me if you ever need to talk, sis."

I watched him leave, grateful for the lighthearted distraction and the understanding presence of my brother.